10. Sunday Dinner

Start from the beginning

"I thought you were put off by red, darling," my mother directs at me as I pour myself a glass of red wine.

"Yeah... someone got me back onto it," I smile, my eyes concentrating very hard on my plate, but I'm unable to ignore a set of green eyes boring into me, waiting to look up. I glance at him, and surely enough he sends a little smirk my way, and I feel my cheeks going almost as red as the drink in my glass.

We all start helping ourselves to the food in the centre of the table, and I forget all of my previous concerns as I take a bite into the delicious meal my mother has prepared.

"This is honestly so good Charlotte," Harry comments appreciatively before I get the chance to.

"You're very welcome dear," Mum smiles graciously towards him. "Lovely manners might I add. My children could learn a thing or two from you."

Cue the eye rolls from the Sinclair children.

Dad clears his throat and looks over at Harry. "So what do you do then Harry?"

Without realising I drop my fork onto my plate, and Mum simultaneously coughs and splutters on her wine at the mention of his career.

"Err, I'm a musician," he says unsurely as he cuts into a piece of roast lamb.

"Oh..." my father falters and then adds on while pointing with his fork, "You don't have to be in the business to know it's a cutthroat industry. So hard to crack."

I look over at Marnie and Brooklyn who are snickering, and I am beyond mortified.

"Dear," my mother says, in hope that he will discontinue with his oblivious comments.

"No, it's alright," Harry speaks up. "It is quite a hard industry, but I do alright."

Alright? With his millions of fans, movies, and worldwide tours? That's one way of putting 'alright'.

"Actually, you know what I'll do Charlotte," my dad offers as he is enlightened with a new idea. "I'll contact Jeff. His brother in law owns a club, and I'll see if he'll hear some of your stuff?" He now seems pretty pleased with himself.

"That's very kind of you Ben, but I won't be in the country for much longer, but thank you for your generous offer."

I quickly glance over at him and give him an apologetic look to which he exchanges an amused smile in my direction and I can't help but send one back to him. It also has just occurred to me that he obviously has to return back to his everyday life. But most importantly - when?

Suddenly, my phone's ringtone starts going off from the other side of the room, and it's a nice distraction from my current thought process. I don't want Harry to leave. Selfishly, I would love to have him stay here within reach, even to keep him as a friend. His presence is intoxicating, and I want more of it.

"That sounds like your ringtone," Brooklyn says, tempting me.

"Sounds important too," Harry adds, coaxing me into giving in, and losing the bet.

"Boys," My mother warns again and I'm thankful when she changes the topic by asking Harry about his family. He tells us how he used to live with his mother and sister Gemma before moving out, and he also touched on the fact that his parents divorced when he was younger. Hmm, I didn't know that. I guess there's a lot I don't know about this guy.

After I've eaten as much as I can without making myself physically sick, I stretch out my legs. Without any intent, my feet brush up against Harry's leg and I feel his eyes on me. I avoid his gaze and am exceedingly grateful to hear my phone go off again, which gives me the perfect alibi to excuse myself from the table without having to explain my hasty departure.