Chapter 25

Here is the long awaited finale! Enjoy!

___________________________________________________

Maybe it was Xavier’s fierce protection. Maybe it was my sudden need for comfort. Maybe it was Violet even, who—although she wasn't a demon herself—still influenced the demon world as Jace’s mate, and she needed comfort at the shocking revelation that James was a demon too. It might have been the overwhelming influence of all three. Whatever it was, the first volcano, the one closest to us, erupted.

The pent-up fumes were released, blanketing the once serene landscape in a layer of thick, black smoke. My vision was instantly clouded, making the visibility about half of what it was a couple of seconds ago. Flashes of bright, golden lava glowed among the dark clouds, reaching for the sky in bursts of energy before plummeting back to the ground, rolling down the mountain side if waves. I could do little more than watch, enthralled, as a sea of red and orange liquid heat rushed down towards the valley. Towards us. Towards me.

Xavier was watching my reaction, half captivated by my expression and half fascinated by the lava just as much as I was. He had stupidly turned his back towards his enemy, and Peter somehow found the self-control to resist his own rapt interest in the volcano and attack.

Xavier roared in agony as Peter dug his flaming nails into Xavier’s lower back. I gasped in identical pain, feeling my mate’s discomfort through our bond. It felt like multiple knives were driven into me, crippling me. I couldn't understand how Xavier found the strength to rip Peter’s hands off of him, whip around to face him, and retaliate.

While Xavier was distracted, James made his move. He wrapped his arms under my own two limbs, rendering them useless. I tried to reach behind me to grab him in some type of hold, but all I caught were wisps of his hair.

“No!” I protested, struggling uselessly in his hold.

Violet screamed, unable to intervene with her capabilities, or lack thereof. Xavier tried to help me, his face morphing into a mask of pure outrage, but Peter attacked him again. Jace was trying to help his pair number without causing any real harm to his father. He just deflected any hits aimed at my mate, still obviously torn between the two sides. His actions spoke louder than all the words he had tried to use to explain his decisions.

I was no match for James. Even if we were both demons now, James was male and knew how to fight. Sure, my struggles were a bit stronger, and my punches and kicks did slow him down, even if they did glance off of him most of the time; if I didn't get help soon, though, he would easily overpower me.

The angry, protective whinny was the most beautiful sound I could have ever heard in that moment. James, not expecting the hellhorses, stared wide-eyed at Xavier and Dawn, both galloping towards us with all they had. Dawn was a step ahead of Ignis, but the overprotective stallion yanked on her tail with his teeth, slowing her down enough so he would be the first one to fall upon the fight, protecting her from the first blows.

James tried to move hastily, but he was disoriented now with the horses now outnumbering Peter and him. He could have taken me if Xavier was distracted, since Jace would neither stop him nor help him, but now that Xavier and I had our horses, our defenses doubled; now we were on the offensive, and James went to retreat. “Come on, Ivy!” he grunted, trying to throw me over his shoulder. “Time to go, baby.”

“Over my dead body!” I snapped, trying to kick him. He held my legs down, making them immobile. I clawed at his back, punching, biting, scratching, doing anything I could to slow him down enough for Xavier to help me. He had to be defeating Peter with Ignis’ help…

A shadow fell over James and me. I gasped as the monstrous stallion reared up on his back legs, kicking his two powerful forelegs in the air threateningly. James didn't have time to react once his shock wore off. Following his master’s very first command to protect me, Ignis slammed his powerful hooves into James’ head. His body slumped to the ground. Ignis, seeing I was now safe, went to help Xavier.