6. Surprise Visits & Musicial Delights

Start bij het begin

I unfolded the paper and saw neat hand writing scribbled on the page and I began reading it.

'Nice one. Next time see if you can shock her enough with your 'friends' by getting her to actually freeze in place. It would do us all a favour. Oh, and officially welcome to the 'band guys', where your colourful ways shall never be overlooked. Especially with a fire like yours.'

I didn't even have to look at the back of the class to know who had written the note. There was only one person who referred to me as 'colourful'. Although, I was surprised to see he hadn't addressed it to 'Red'.

I turned around anyway, only to see a smirking Alec sitting at the back of the class, leaning against the back legs of his chairs. He saw me looking at him and I gestured to the note in my hand, which he only smiled at. Right before I turned away, I saw that he had winked at me, which as usual, made my cheeks burn.

As I was taking notes in the class, I couldn't help but agree when Alec said I had 'fire'. In more ways than one, I thought as I held a hand to my cooling cheeks.

*****

I spent most of the Saturday in my room, as I usually did, in order to avoid my aunt and uncle. Not that they went out of their way to make conversation with me. But they always were quick off the mark to criticize anything I did. Like last night, there were still some faint paint stains on my hands as we were having dinner, and my aunt dived right into how one should take personal hygiene seriously. Which I'm not saying is something I don't do already. It's just that, Suze likes to spend an unhealthy amount of time in front of the mirror, just so she can prefect her lipstick. Which is something you wouldn't catch me ever wearing. I hated make-up with a burning passion!

As it was the weekend, Suze and Simon would be out with rich clients or 'friends' for the majority of the time, and so I would have the house to myself. Even so, I still kept to my bedroom. It was my little haphazard, messy and cluttered haven, in this sterile and isolated house. I had completed my homework throughout the day, and as the night began to set in, my floor was littered with random sketches and drawings, as well as pens, pencils, charcoals and pastels and an array of junk food, such as Red Vines, bags of chips and soda cans. The atmosphere was made more rebellious as there was a Ramones CD playing in the background.

I was lying on my stomach on the floor, putting the finishing touches to a random drawing, when I heard a small tapping on the panes of glass from my window. I looked up from where I was lying on the floor, but nothing was there. All I could see was the dark sky. Thinking I had imagined it, I went back to my drawing, only to hear the same sound again. Knowing I couldn't be imagining it now, I got up and made my way slowly to the window. Just as I reached it, a large dark shape came into view.

"AAARRRGGGHHH!!!" I screamed, taking unsteady steps back towards my bed in the middle of the room.

"Seriously, scream louder. I don't think people in China quite heard you!" A familiar and yet annoyingly amused voice spoke from the shape that was crouched on the porch roof that was situated below my window. Perfect for sneaking out. Or in.

"Alec?" I took a few steps toward the window, only to see his amused face looking back at me. His hair was hanging around his ears in its usual disheveled and yet rakish mess. His pale green eyes were sparkling from the light coming from my bedroom and as usual, he had that irritating smirk plastered on his face.

"No, it's your Italian lover, coming by for a late night visit." He said, as he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. I scowled at him as I moved to the window and opened it so I didn't have to speak too loudly.

"What are you doing here?" My heart was steadily returning back to its normal rhythm after being scared out of my skin. Alec moved forward and let himself in through the open window, which caused me to move back again, in order to make room for him. He looked around my room with the most avid expression on his face. He took in my bed with the vivid quilts and random bits of clothes on top of it. He took in the bookcase in the far corner, which was stacked precariously with anything and everything. He looked at the floor, covered in random artwork and junk food, as well as the odd shoe here and there.