30

Beginning of the new semester.

~

University has finally reopened from the Christmas break and I was completely ready to be away from home. These last few months of busy classes and no sleep was what I wanted and I withheld my excitement as I dropped my bags to the floor. Mom really wanted to come see me off but it was hard enough being home with her since Damon left.

It was as though everyone abandoned me as soon as he walked through those doors. My aunt left, Erin had to travel with his family and the house just had this emptiness every time I was inside it. That first night was the start of many nightmares of my dad and I hadn't realized how much Damon helped in distracting me. Trying to busy myself at home was a futile attempt since I couldn't even bring myself to farm because touching any tool or even trying to drive the tractor caused me great anxiety.

I know I shouldn't be upset that Damon left or even blame him but somehow I'd needed him just a bit longer and somehow he just couldn't stay. I'd tried reaching out to Trent but he never responded and surprisingly Alexis did. As soon as the thought left my head Alexis walked in and I jokingly rolled my eyes as she screamed my name.

"Geez girl, did you gain?" I moaned as she threw her weight against me, forcing us both onto the bed.

"How dare you!"

"What? It's the truth, you're so damn heavy now."

"It's not my fault my mom makes delicious meals."

"No, but it is your fault you're an elephant."

Alexis hits me behind my head and I laugh as she pretends to be offended.

"You're so lucky you're gay."

"Whatever."

We both lay back on my bare bed, just staring up at the ceiling and the comfortable silence that falls made me realize how badly I've missed her.

"I miss you..."

Alexis turns her head to the side so that we were now inches apart from each other and her eyes soften as she became serious.

"I promise I never left."

"I love you."

"I love you more."

She kisses my exposed cheek and lets the kiss linger and when she pulls away I can see she's battling to hide her tears. "I'm sorry I missed your dad's funeral."

"It's okay, Damon was there."

"What happened between you too?"

I sighed as I tried not to uncover a can of worms. "He was the perfect friend and I fell for him."

The smile I gave didn't quite reach my ears and she wiped the stray tear before bracing her forehead against mine.

"I fell for someone too."

"Tyler?"

She nods and I can see she really wants to talk about it. Difference was, hers was a happy ending.

"Tell me about him."

"No, this is your time."

"It's okay. I need to be distracted."

"You sure?"

I smile and she continues.

"He's amazing. We spent the remainder of last semester together and then he came and spent Christmas by me. He literally couldn't bear to be away from me and the first time we made love... he said he loved me."