5. The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"Morning Mum," I say with a spring in my step.

"Morning darl," she says cheerfully. "What's gotten into you?"

"What do you mean?" I say as I snatch the piece of vegemite toast she's holding and take a bite.

"You're happier than usual. Especially this early in the morning," she responds, a little too skeptically for my liking.

"Dad's back," I say smiling at her through mouthfuls. Hoping she'll accept that as my explanation. She gives me a suspicious look and goes back to reading the newspaper as I exit.

I head to the lounge room and find my 17 year old sister Marnie absentmindedly watching one of the morning shows, and decide to sit on her, squishing her in the process.

"Get off!" she laughs. "You're so bloody annoying Ava." I stay put until she threatens me with tickling. My absolute weakness.

I sit in the spot next to her and lean against her knees as they're propped up.

"So Scarlett called last night asking for you," she informs. "You didn't get home till late either." The way in which she states it is almost in the way a detective might question a suspect in a case, trying to pin him for something.

I freeze for a moment and then recover in an instant.

"Stop snooping Marnie," I say and poke her in the tummy lightly. "If you spent half as much time studying instead of snooping, maybe your Maths grades might be higher."

"Go on then, who is he?" She asks confidently as if she knows it must have been a boy, and ignoring my insult.

Normally I wouldn't really hesitate in telling her these things, but I'm pretty sure she's had a poster of Harry on her wall at some point and what would I even tell her? Hey, just hung out with Harry Styles - you know, the usual. She wouldn't believe me if I tell her anyways. I might just leave it for now.

"Don't you have an assignment or something to do?" I quickly change the subject. "Back to school tomorrow for you!" I say enthusiastically.

She groans and I take it as my cue to leave. Success.

I head upstairs and decide on my outfit for the day and choose a new playsuit I ordered from ASOS, and for once, it actually looks in person as it does in the photo. I'm sick to death of ordering things online, only to try it on, and it looks like a potato sack. They have free returns, but seriously, who can be bothered sending it all the way back? First world problems of a lazy person I suppose. I brush the knots from my hair, and quickly put it into two braids to the side. I decide to put a little more time into my make up today, even bothering to fill in my eyebrows, and add a nude lip colour. Finally dressed, and ready to take on the day, I re open his message to reply.

"You've conveniently left out the part where I saved your life. I have work, but I can message you when I'm done? A"

I kind of want to take the message back, purely for the fact that it sounds like I'm signing off the same way the mystery person "A" does on the show Pretty Little Liars. Again, another thing Marnie is obsessed with. Personally, I don't get it. I think I've watched two and a half seasons, but soon got sick of the suspense, as well as every episode feeling like you know the suspect, only to figure out it's completely wrong. I don't have the patience for it.

Scarlett's car horn brings me out of my mini stupor and kiss Mum on the cheek as I run out the front door. I hear my phone vibrate in my bag as I get in the car and am reminded that Scarlett doesn't know of my day yesterday.

I check my phone as I get in, and surely enough, it's from him.

Touché Sinclair. I'll drive x

Question of the chapter: What do you think of Ava's family and her relationship with them? Also, do you think Harry is interested in Ava's friendship, or something more?

Please make sure you've voted, and that you're following me on social media for any updates!

Twitter: WordsWithGem
Instagram: gemma.allan
Snapchat: gemma.allan

#PPDPM