Chapter Forty-One

Audrey

When Joon Soo woke up, I was not allowed to see him. Instead, his mother came by every day to let me know how he was going and drop off some food for me.

To say I was shocked about her persistence with this routine would be an understatement. At most, I expected a phone call once a week from her with updates. I suppose, in a way, she felt guilty about getting me all the way over here, knowing I had my studies, and then I wasn't even allowed to see Joon Soo under doctor's orders.

I won't lie. I missed him. Laying in his bed sheets every night, surrounded by his scent, yet feeling cold every morning from the absence of his body was taking its toll on me. Even though I hadn't seen him, being where he lived every day made me feel like we were together again.

Then, when I began thinking of him here, I wished he was here. But instantly I remembered if he were here, I'd be a stranger to him and he's probably call the police on me. It hurt to know the man I love couldn't remember us. But I just had to wait it out.

*

A week after Joon Soo's discharge, there was a pounding noise on the door. Who could that be?

I went to the door and took a glance through the peephole. Two familiar faces stared back at me.

With a sigh, I opened the door. Immediately, I was enveloped by her arms.

"You're really bad at keeping in contact," she complained as she half strangled me to death.

"Haven't felt like going anywhere, considering my situation."

She released me from her grip and took a step back. "That's right... Sorry. We barely got to see you last time and thought we'd come properly greet you."

Do Yun put his arms out, asking me permission first with his eyes. I walked into his embrace.

"Hi there," he said.

"Hello."

I pulled back. "Did you grow?"

He shook his head. "Not taller."

"But you're broader!"

He grinned. "I've been working out."

"Really? Why? Is there a special lady you've been trying to impress?"

His cheeks turned a bright red and his gaze dropped to the floor. My gaze turned to Hye Ri to see if she knew anything. A grin was plastered on his face.

"He confessed to me last night," she said.

My jaw dropped. "He did?"

She nodded.

"And what did you say?" I asked.

"That of course I'll date him."

"I never saw this coming."

"Well, when you left, we both lost our closest friend. So we would sometimes meet up and talk about how we missed you. Then we stopped talking about how we missed you and started getting to know each other. And well... you know how it goes."

"I'm happy for you both." A smiled at them.

"Anyway, that's not important now. Firstly, why didn't you tell us you were coming back?"

"It was such a last minute thing that I barely had time to pack."

"And where's Joon Soo? We were rushed out of the room last time by the doctors and you never told me what happened."

I looked down at the floor. "I'm not allowed to see him."

"What?" she nearly screamed. "Why not?"

"Because he doesn't remember me." Even though it was such a simple phrase, my voice cracked as the words left my mouth, and tears instantly welled up. It was amazing how sometimes a slight shift in mood could bring you to tears.

"I thought that was only a temporary reaction to being in a coma... He still doesn't remember you? Why not?"

"He has memory loss. He doesn't remember the past few years, and therefore me."

The two fell silent for a long while, until Do Yun managed to speak. "Is it temporary?"

I shrugged. "The doctors say there isn't any visible damage to his brain, just some swelling. But Joon Soo's eomeoni told me yesterday the swelling has gone down. And he's not here yet. So he doesn't remember me."

"I don't understand why you can't see him though," Hye Ri said. "Surely you should put as many memories in front of him to expose him and wake up his brain."

I shrugged. "The doctors said, considering there is swelling, we shouldn't force him to remember everything. He should focus on healing and not stress out."

"But he's better now, right, if he's out of hospital? So surely you can see him."

"His mother said the doctors still don't want me to."

Hye Ri's eyebrows furrowed.

"That doesn't sound right," Do Yun said.

_____

I'm so sorry these are short... but I haven't ended a book in so long, thus I'm a little rusty. One day I will edit it and extend these chapters. I promise. >.<
Better having them short and to the point over waffling though, right?