Chapter Four

Joon Soo

"Park Min Ho! Where are you? Min Ho!" I called out as I stumbled down the dimly lit street. There were no cars driving along. It was just me, the sparse street lights, and the trees lining the road. "Min Ho!" I called again. He mentioned he'd be heading this way. Where is he?

Suddenly, in the distance, I saw a car pulled over on the side of the road. As I got closer, I recognised his number plate. I started to run.

"Min Ho! Where have you been?" I demanded.

I rounded the vehicle and fell to the ground in shock. The car's front was smashed up on a tree. Min Ho's body lay over the dashboard, his head protruding through the grass.

"Min Ho. No. Min Ho!"

I leapt to my feet to pull his body from the car, but the moment I touched him he disappeared. He was gone in an instant.

My eyes flew open. My breaths were short. Sitting up in bed, I looked around my dark room. It was just a dream. It wasn't real. At least, it wasn't happening now.

Grabbing my phone, I checked the time. I still had four hours until I had to get up. Laying back down, I pulled the covers over my head and slowly fell back asleep.

*

I was showered, dressed, and ready for my first day as an editor for Seoul National University's magazine. I was more casual clothing this time, however, I still sported a suit jacket and long ironed pants.

"Joon Soo!" my mother called out. "Hurry up! You need to eat before you go. You can't work on an empty stomach!"

"Coming Eomma!"

I took one more look in the mirror, smoothed back a stray hair, and grabbed my bag. Sitting next to my sister, I placed my bag behind me, picked up my chopsticks, and starting digging in to my rice.

"Make sure you eat some meat, too," my mother said, pushing the plate filled with beef pancakes towards me.

"Gamsa, Eomma," I said, loading up my rice with pancakes.

"Why does Joon Soo get spoiled and I can only eat egg and rice?" Ji Soo demanded.

"Because Joon Soo finally got a job. Here, have some kimchi too." Mum pushed the kimchi toward Ji Soo.

I picked up a beef pancake and placed it in Ji Soo's bowl. "Have one of mine."

She grinned at me. "Thank you, oppa!"

"You're welcome, dongsaeng."

"Make me look like the bad guy..." mum mumbled.

Our father sat down at the table. "First day of work today, Joon Soo?"

"Yes, abeoji," I replied.

My mother set food down in front of him. "Here you go, Joon Ho."

"Thank you, yeobo. Make sure you do well so you can get a proper job after this, okay?"

"Will do, abeoji. I won't let you down."

"Yes. Don't."

The family chitchat ceased and we all finished our breakfast then headed our separate ways.