Chapter Thirty-Seven

Audrey

As so we fell into a much smoother rhythm. We'd wake up around the same time each day and share a call over our breakfast. Joon Soo would head to work and I'd prepare any reading for my uni work, or I'd head off to class. Then we'd talk around lunchtime if our schedules met up. Every second night I'd go stay over at his place, whether he was late or not.

To Hye Ri's dismay, Joon Soo and I decided, a month into the second semester, that I was going to move into his apartment. With the end of the year approaching and the inevitable fact that I'd eventually be leaving, we wanted to make the most of our time together. So, when Joon Soo was late at work, Hye Ri came over and hung out with me.

A few weeks in, we went and saw Joon Soo's family again. This time was much better. I still received the occasional glare from his mother, but she withheld her thoughts. Joon Soo's father was friendly enough and Ji Soo was an angel.

*

However, eventually all good things must come to an end. My final exams ended in November and Joon Soo accompanied me to book my return flight to Hoju. Time flew so quickly, we barely had a chance to discuss the future of our relationship. The part I dreaded and had so desperately tried to avoid was now here.

"I have to go back," I told him as we walked home after booking. The rain was pouring down and we shared a small umbrella. My breath was visible as I spoke.

"Mmm," he responded.

I placed my hand over his on the umbrella. "I warned you of this. We could part now and then it will be easier."

He shook his head and came to a stop. "We aren't breaking up. We can do this. We will find a way. We can visit each other and video message each other all the time. Eventually an opportunity has to come up for either of us."

"I suppose."

"Hey." His hand touched my chin, pushing my head up to meet his eyes. "We can do this. I know we can. I love you and you love me, so what will stop us? We may be apart but this is only temporary."

I could feel a warm tear slide down my cheek.

Joon Soo planted a kiss on my forehead. "I won't give up on us, Audrey. Ever. So you don't either."

*

Christmas came and went. We spent the holiday with Joon Soo's family. I think his mother was starting to warm up to me, but every now and then I caught her glare or saw her roll her eyes over something I said.

On New Year's Eve, Joon Soo took me out to the top of the N Seoul Tower. We had dinner up there and went to the rooftop extra early to ensure we could see the fireworks. It was packed up there. Joon Soo held me in his arms so that I wouldn't get trampled on. I felt at home. I was going to miss this.

On New Year's Day, we woke up late. We didn't feel like doing much so Joon Soo got out a puzzle to complete.

"I'm thirsty," I said when we were halfway finished. "I'm getting a drink. Do you want one?"

"Yes please. Whatever you're having."

I headed off to the kitchen and fixed us some drinks, then sat back down next to him. I had just placed down the second last piece when I realised we were missing a piece.

I checked under the table and couldn't find it.

"Maybe it's in the box?" Joon Soo asked.

I got up and went back to the bedroom where we had left the empty box. I opened the lid and saw the cardboard backing of the puzzle piece. "It's here!" I called out. I grabbed the piece and turned it over, my mouth falling in shock.

Will you marry me? Was written in Korean on the puzzle piece.

I walked back into the living room and Joon Soo was down on one knee, holding open a jewellery box holding two silver rings. I walked closer to look. One had a single diamond in the centre, the other, larger one was just plain.

"I figured you like simple," he explained.

I could feel the tears begin to pour out of my eyes.

"Audrey Jones. I know you are going back to Hoju very soon and we can't get married for a while, but I hope this promise I want to make to you is enough to wipe away any doubts you have while we are apart. I promise to keep only you in my heart and remain faithful to you. I promise I will find a way for us to be together again so that I can marry you. So, will you marry me?"

I nodded my head repeatedly. "Yes. Most definitely yes."

Joon Soo got to his feet and snatched me in his arms.

"Can I wear the ring now?"

"That's what it's meant for!" He pulled my ring out of the box and slid it on my left hand. I grabbed his ring out and slid it on his left hand.

He leaned in and planted a kiss on my lips.

*

Three weeks later, Joon Soo was by my side as he dropped me off at the airport. He begrudgingly handed my luggage over as I collected my tickets.

"Perhaps we should part here," I said as we left the check-in desk.

He shook his head. "I want to see you off."

"But I don't want to cry in front of you. This will only make it harder."

"I have to see you off."

A sigh escaped my mouth. "Okay."

Hand in hand, Joon Soo walked me to the gate, gave me one last kiss, and I boarded the plane back to Hoju.

_____

Sorry again that it's so short. It will get longer again soon! I promise. :)