Chapter Twenty-Eight

Joon Soo

The tall, reflective skyscraper loomed above me, as I stood on the side walk, briefcase in hand, staring up at the building. My first real job.

I walked inside and approached the reception desk.

"Annyeonghaseyo. I'm just starting today and I was told to go straight to Jang Young Chul for my directions," I said.

"Go straight up to the top floor. His office is right at the end of the hall."

"Gamsahamnida."

I took the elevator up, pushed the button, and as the doors were about to close, I heard someone yell, "Hold the elevator!"

I put my hand out, stopping the doors from closing. A woman sporting sunglasses, dressed in what I assumed was very high brand clothing, and adorned in the most sparkly, diamond-encrusted gold jewellery walked through the doors.

"Thank you so much," she said. She pulled off her sunglasses and tucked them into her bag.

Her eyes, initially to the front, glanced at me as I stared at her, mesmerised by the amount of money she'd be wearing at this moment. "I haven't seen you before," she commented.

I held my hand out to her, and she slipped hers in mine. We shook. "Park Joon Soo. I'm starting today."

"Are you a lawyer?"

I shook my head. "Journalist."

"Oh... is that so?" Her eyebrows raised and a smile slipped on her face. "It's a..." she glanced up and down, "pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. Oh, sorry, what floor were you going to?"

"Same as you."

We stood there in silence the rest of the way. I weaved my fingers together as I stared at the changing numbers. For some reason, I couldn't shake the feeling that her eyes were still on me, but I didn't check. I didn't want to start more conversation.

The elevator came to a stop, two floors from the top. A man walked into the elevator, his eyes widening as he looked at the luxurious woman.

"Miss Jang Eun Young!" the man said, bowing slightly.

"Who were you again?" she asked.

"Your family lawyer."

"Was that you? I swear it was some old, bald ajusshi."

"I'm training to replace him."

"Oh. Why waste my time telling me then?"

My lip twitched. For some reason a bout of anger welled inside me, but I stopped myself instantly from showing any annoyance. I could tell already that this woman was not to be messed with.

The elevator came to a halt again, this time at the last floor. All three of us walked out. The woman and ajusshi ahead of me, walking down the hall. Our footsteps echoed. The corridor was silent. Reaching the end, the ajusshi held the door open for the woman, and she stepped inside. He went to let the door go, but I grabbed it just in time, walking in behind him. I was beginning to worry that I was in the wrong place, or that there had been a mistake.

"Park Joon Soo!" a man said as I entered the room. "Have you met Jang Eun Young yet?" His hand waved over to the woman.

"Briefly in the elevator, sir."

"Good, good. Get acquainted. Please, all of you, take a seat."

There were an array of chairs lined up in a U shape, presumably for small meetings. The man sat down in the head chair, I to his left, the woman and ajusshi to his right.