Chapter Thirty

Joon Soo

When I opened my eyes the next morning, a smile spread across my face and I stifled a giggle. Her red hair was tangled into knots, creating a halo around her, her brown roots were becoming really apparent, her mascara had smudged under her eyes, and her mouth was slightly agape. Yet, despite her amusing appearance, to me she looked cute. I leaned in and planted a kiss on her cheek, before climbing out of bed and going for a shower.

Yes, it was probably way too soon in our relationship for what we did. Yes, it went against desire to wait and give her time to overcome the way her ex treated her. But I felt closer to her now than before. I was certain that, under any circumstance, I would not let this relationship end. And that meant keeping my job and stopping Jang Eun Young from her attempts to hit on me.

I was dressed and ready to head off to work, but Audrey was still asleep. I quickly wrote a note and placed it on the bedside table before popping out the door and heading to work.

*

"Park Joon Soo, can you please see me in my office?" Jang Eun Young said the moment I walked through the doors. She barely glanced up from her papers.

"Yes, boss."

I placed my briefcase on my desk and then followed Jang Eun Young into her office.

"Do you know why I called you in here?" she asked me as she sat down in her chair. She crossed her arms over her chest and stared at me.

"I can't say I do," I replied.

"Take a seat."

I sat down as ordered.

"I have a problem with you."

Uh-oh.

"We must discuss this."

"Yes, all problems should be discussed."

"You've been working here for about a month now, right?"

"Yes, that is true."

"You're a great employee. Your suggestions in meetings are amazing. Your editing skills are superb. I am really impressed."

"Gamsahamnida."

"You're really kind to the other team members too. You always help them out. You're really welcoming."

"Thank you very much for your compliments."

"But..."

Here it comes.

"You're never like that with me."

I raised my head, meeting her gaze and cocking an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"You're always helping them out and you're really kind, but whenever you're around me you run away. Why is that?"

I wasn't prepared for this. I had to think of a good excuse fast. "It's not intentional," I lied. "I suppose, in a way, I thought you don't need any extra help as the Editor-in-Chief."

She rested her elbows on the table and leaned across. "I always need your help, Joon Soo-ya."

Joon Soo-ya? Why was she being so informal? I mentally gulped. Here we go. The direct confrontation everyone warned me about. If I played my cards right, maybe I could keep my job. "What is it that you needed help with, Jang Eun Young-ssi?" I asked, trying to maintain formality. "Are you overtasked? I could do some more editing for you if you'd like or oversea any of the tasks that are burdening you."