Chapter Eleven

Audrey

It was Thursday. I had only twenty-four hours to decide whether I should or shouldn't go to the fireworks festival with Joon Soo. Was this just another help out Audrey thing? Or was he trying to make this a date?

"Hye Ri," I started after I got out of the shower.

"Audrey," she said back.

"Does it mean anything in Korea if a guy asks to take you to the fireworks festival?"

"Depends. Is it just the two of you or are you going with friends?"

"Just the two."

"Then it definitely means something. Why?... Oh my gosh, did Joon Soo ask you?"

I nodded.

"He definitely likes you!"

"Well I'm not going then."

"Why?"

"I don't want to lead him on."

"You don't like him? Why? He's really cute. I mean, he is annoying, but you hang out with him so I guess you don't find that a problem."

"What good would it do? I'd rather just stay friends."

"Did you come here to start fresh? To have experiences? Why not try this?"

"Because nothing lasts. And say this does, say we end up dating, what happens when the year ends? I have to go back to Hoju. It won't work."

Hye Ri fell silent.

"I just have to think of a good excuse. I don't want to hurt him or lose him as a friend."

"Audrey, as much as I hate the guy, I know he is nice. Who still wants to be friends with someone when they don't text them for half a week? Give him a chance. Don't block everyone out because you had one bad relationship."

"It's not just that relationship."

"You've had more than one?"

"There's also my parents. I saw what happened to their marriage. Every couple has a honeymoon period where everything is nice and then love disappears and we stay with each other out of necessity or laziness to find someone new. Or because you have children."

"Audrey..."

"I know what I'm doing."

Hye Ri was adamant that taking me to the fireworks festival meant Joon Soo liked me. If that were the case then he'd try getting close to me whilst we were there. What if he touched me again like at the cinema? What if he won a prize for me? Even worse... what if he confessed? I shook my head. I can't think about these things. I can't think about Joon Soo. Thinking about him would only develop this sudden interest. Damn my hormones. Damn my inability to contain my emotions. Damn Joon Soo and his overwhelming kindness, smouldering brown eyes, and heart-piercing smile. I could not go with him. I need an excuse though. He knows my essay is finished. I can't lie to him, so I need something true to hang onto.

*

"So what are we doing this weekend?" I asked Adam.

"Anything you want, my love," he replied.

"Could we go see a movie?"

"What movie to you want to see?"