33

Scott had fallen asleep so Avi did his best to carry him into Mitch's room. He set him in the chair closest to Mitch before falling into one of the other seats.

     "He still thinks this is his fault." Avi looked up when he heard the familiar whisper. Avi pulled a chair to the other side of the bad and grabbed Mitch's hand.

     "Hey, how are you feeling?" He asked and Mitch gave him a weak smile.

      "Tired." He whispered before looking over at Scott. "Why can't he stop blaming himself for everything. Nothing had been his fault." He whispered, his voice scratchy.

      "He's looking for someone to blame and since he's been the only one there for every single thing, he blames himself." Avi said quietly and Mitch shook his head.

      "That's stupid." He whispered shaking his head. "None of this is his fault."

      "I know, we'll help him believe that. Everything is going to be okay. Don't worry too much, now you get some more rest." Mitch nodded intertwining Scott's and his hands before closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep.

      Avi fell asleep too staring at the married couple who had gone through so much together. He woke up about an hour later and looked around.

     Scott wasn't sleeping or sitting in the chair he had left him. Avi looked around the empty room and assumed Scott must have gone to the bathroom.

      Yet after ten minutes Avi dialed his number. He heard the buzzing within the room and picked up the phone off the chair he slept in.

      He almost started to panic when he saw a folded piece of paper in Mitch's hand. He slipped it out of his hand and opened it up with Scott's ring falling out of it.

Dear Mitchie,
       I really don't know how to write this... it's hard to explain but... please don't blame yourself for this. You're going to find someone new who will truly make you happy and someone who isn't as screwed up as I am. They'll make you happy and won't have the worst luck in the world. You'll be safe and happy. That's all I want. I just want you to be happy. I love you Mitch. So god damn much. I hope you have a happy life baby.
I love you, Scott

      Avi gripped onto the paper tears welling in his eyes. He cursed to himself and Mitch jumped away sweat caked his skin. "Oh, Avi... where's Scott? I had a terrible dream that-" Mitch stopped talking and stared at him, "what are you holding?" He asked cautiously.

Avi handed him the paper and dropped the ring on his lap. Mitch's eyes widened and he looked up at Avi with horror. "No..." he whispered and looked down at the note. Tears ran down his cheeks as he read the letter.

He clutched the ring in his hand and started to get out of the bed. Avi stood in front of him gently pushing him back towards the bed, "Mitch you need to stay in bed and rest. We don't want your stitches to rip out." Mitch was forceful though.

Mitch used all his strength to push Avi back and then stumbled forward, "HE'S MY HUSBAND AVI! I DONT CARE I NEED TO GO GET HIM." He grabbed his side in pain as he stumbled towards the door.

Nurses came in and tried pulling him back to bed but he wasn't making it very easy, "NO I HAVE TO SEE HIM! LET ME G-!" The doctor had come in and injected him with a syringe. Mitch's eyes stayed wide as he slowly stopped fighting, tears filled his eyes and spilled over before he passed out completely.

The nurses got him back into bed and the doctor pulled Avi aside, "what happened?" He asked and Avi shook his head rubbing his face.

"H-his husband... nothing everything's fine." He said quietly and the doctor sighed nodding before leaving without another question.

Avi grabbed his phone and called Kevin immediately, "a-Avi?" Kevin said on the other line in a groggy voice.

"Scott left a note with his ring with Mitch telling him to find someone he deserved... Kevin I'm so scared what if he-"

"Don't say that baby, I'll find him down worry." Avi shook his head.

"No no, you need to rest." Avi said but Kevin was already getting up.

"I'm fine, you stay with Mitch and I'll go find Scott." He said grabbing his crutches and hurrying out of the room.

"Please be careful." Avi whispered and Kevin smiled.

"I will, I love you." Kevin said getting into his car he best he could.

"I love you too." Kevin hung up and started driving to the bridge. He hoped that Scott wasn't there or that it wasn't too late.

Kevin had fallen asleep on Scott's couch one night when coming to check on Scott and Leah after Mitch disappeared. Kevin woke up when he heard the front door click shut.

He woke up and looked around. He peeked out the window and saw Scott backing out of the drive way. Kevin hurried out the door to follow him. He drove far enough away so that Scott wouldn't know that he was following him.

Scott pulled into an empty parking lot near he old bridge that hadn't been used for quite a few years. Kevin pulled in slowly and saw Scott walk towards the bridge. What was he doing? Kevin wondered before parking and getting out of his car.

Kevin looked in he direction he saw Scott go but he couldn't see him. He hurried in that direction and turned onto the bridge. He saw Scott looking over at the water down below. Kevin slowly started to walk over to him, when he saw Scot start to climb the railing.

Kevin started to panic and sprint over to him, "Scott no!" he screamed and Scott snapped his head in Kevin's direction. Kevin caught up to him and Scott looked at him with tears and confusion in his eyes, "K-kevin? What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Please get down from there Scott." he said breathlessly. Scott looked at him then back at the water.

"I can't do it anymore Kev..." he whispered staring down over the bridge, "I can't do this without him."

"He will come back, Scott. He just needs time to deal with what happened. He feels overwhelmed with guilt and-" Scott cut him off shaking his head.

"He saved me. He has nothing to feel guilty for-" Scott said and Kevin shook his head.

"Scott, he feels guilty that he didn't know that you were being hurt for so long. He feels guilty that he had to do that to Alex to stop him from hurting you. Scott come down please." he whispered and Scott sat down on top of the railing. He stared out into the water as Kevin walked up to the other side.

"I'll wait longer but Kevin..." he turned to look at him seriously, "I can't wait much longer."

Kevin saw Scott's car parked in the abandoned parking lot and he started to panic. He hoped that he wasn't too late. He grabbed his crutches from the back panicking. He slammed the car door and hobbled as fast as he could to the bridge. He slowed down when he saw Scott sitting on top of the railing. He finally reached him but didn't say anything.

"I couldn't do it." Scott whispered, "I wanted to come here and leave all my problems behind but I couldn't do it. For the first time in two years I couldn't end it all. I've tried so many times and each time someone has had to come stop me but this time... I stopped myself." he whispered looking over at Kevin.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with him. I wanna get another cat... maybe a dog... maybe another kid some day... All I know is that I can't deprive myself from finally being happy just because I'm scared and I don't think I deserve it. And I sure as hell can't deprive it of Mitch."

"You need to go back to him. He needs you. So do I. And does Avi and Kirstie. We all need you but Mitch... he needs you the most." Kevin finally spoke and Scott nodded. He jumped back over the ledge and looked down at Kevin.

He wrapped his arms around Kevin knowing he couldn't hug him back very tight. "Thank you for coming. I'm sorry I-" kevin shook his head and Scott pulled away.

"No more apologizing. Go, go to him." he said with a small smile.

Scott nodded and smiled before running off back to his car.