7

"Mitch?" The deep voice answered immediately.

      "I... I need you to come get me." Mitch said with a shaky voice. "I can't... drive right now."

      "Where are you?" Avi asked already grabbing his keys mouthing to Kevin what was happening.

     "I'll send you the address." He said barely making any noise.

      "Are you okay?" Avi asked and he took a deep breath.

      "No. I don't think I ever will be." He said his voice cracking.

     "I'm coming okay Mitch? You're gonna be okay." Avi said and Mitch hung up.

      "What did he say?" Kevin asked and Avi hurried to the front door.

      "He said that I needed to go pick him up. Everything is going to be okay." Avi said to reassure both himself and is worried husband.

      "Be careful okay?" Kevin asked kissing Avi lips gently.

     "I always am." He said opening the door. "I love you." He said before running to his car. Mitch sent him the address of a hotel a few hours away and as he drove his mind raced.Once he got there Mitch was nowhere to be seen.

     The women behind the counter told him that Mitch would go to the beach a few blocks away everyday and stay there sometimes until the sun came up.

     Avi thanked her for the information and made his way to the beach. He sighed in relief when he saw Mitch sitting in the sand staring blankly at the waves. Avi kicked his flip flops off and walked over to him. Mitch was so deep in thought that he didn't notice when Avi stood next to him.Avi sat down next to him and Mitch jumped slightly before realizing it was Avi.

      He turned back to the waves and tried to calm his breathing. "You ready to come home?" Avi asked gently and Mitch shook his head.

     "No." He said simply. "I can't look at him."

     "I'm going to be real for a second Mitch," Avi said not looking at Mitch. "I know that you feel guilty. I know it's hard to talk to him and that's why you haven't been but you need to suck it up. He needs you right now and it's not fair to him that you're gone right now."

     "He doesn't need me. I killed his husband-" Avi cut him off feeling anger rise.

     "Will you stop looking at it like that? Yes you killed Alex. You killed Alexander Kirk. You killed Scott's abusive husband who beat him for years! You saved his life Mitch! Why can't you see that that was the right thing to do! The only thing to do! What would've happened if you didn't? Scott would most definitely be dead and maybe you." Avi tried so hard to convince Mitch that his actions were okay.

     "Why didn't Scott tell anyone!? I wouldn't have had to do anything if-" Avi cut him off again.

      "Don't you dare try and blame Scott for this." Avi said sternly and Mitch went white.

      "That's not what I meant... I just... Fuck! Why didn't he tell me!? Why didn't I notice!? I was right there and I didn't know! The signs were there! The signs were fucking there and I didn't see them! He was abused for years and I didn't even notice! What kind of friend am I!?" Mitch was full on sobbing. He had gotten up and was kicking the sand. He was so angry with himself.

     "I knew they were fighting but... Oh god why didn't I fucking see it! He was... the whole time..." He let out a loud wrenching sob and fell to his knees. "What if he..." his voice trailed off and he got up immediately.

       "We need to go home now." Avi got up and had to run to catch up to Mitch. They got into Avi's car leaving Mitch's in the lot. Mitch didn't talk the whole way home. He just stared out the window. Avi knew better than to take him to his own house. Even if Mitch wasn't expecting it he drove straight to Scott's house.

      Avi saw that Kevin's car was not there and he smiled excited to get home. Mitch awoke from his daze and looked at Avi with fearful eyes.

      "You can do it." Avi said putting a hand on Mitch's knee for comfort.

      Mitch took a deep breath nodding before exiting the car. As he approached the front door he didn't know whether he should knock or not. He held his hand up to knock but didn't have the courage to do it, His fist was centimeters from the door when it opened catching him by surprise.

      The sight was heartbreaking, Scott's eyes were tear-stained and bloodshot. He had dark circles under his eyes and his finger nails were bitten to the point of blood. Mitch probably didn't look all the well either. Scot tackled Mitch into a hug. They stumbled back a little bit but Scott made sure he wouldn't fall.

Mitch buried his head in Scott's neck and bit his lip to hold back the tears. He failed miserably and Scott's t-shirt started to dampen from his tears. Scott squeezed shut as tears ran down his face.

"I'm sorry." Mitch said over and over again into Scott's chest. Scott heard this and immediately pulled away putting Mitch's face in hands.

"Stop it. It's not your fault. You're here now that's all that matters." Scott said looking deeply in his eyes. Avi had seen enough to know that Mitch wouldn't need a quick escape, not that he was surprised. He drove away excited to see his husband, the stress of Mitch being gone lifted off his shoulders.

"I'm sorry for-" Mitch started but Scott shook his head not caring for his apology. "Please listen." Mitch said trying to focus on scott's eyes and not the hot breath on his lips.

"I'm sorry I killed him. I'm sorry I had to. I'm sorry that you went through so much pain and I didn't notice. I'm sorry I didn't help. I'm sorry it came to this. I'm sorry I've been gone for two weeks... I just I needed to think and I know that's not a good excuse... I just..." Mitch took a deep breath before burying his face in Scott's neck.

"I love you." he whispered into his neck, wetting his shirt with tears. Scott kissed his forehead.

"It's okay. None of this is your fault." Scott said pulling Mitch's chin up. "How could you have known what was happening? I didn't tell you and I hid it from you. Especially from you. I didn't want you to know." Mitch let a few more tears fall.

"Why!? I'm the first person you should tell! I could have helped you! I was right here Scott! I could have stopped it! Maybe he wouldn't have died! Maybe you wouldn't have almost-" Mitch's voice cut out with a sob.

Scott pulled Mitch closer to him and kissed his forehead. "Hey, let's head inside okay? We'll talk about this later." Scott said gently and Mitch nodded his face still buried into Scott's neck. Mitch pulled away but grabbed Scott's hand before Scott led him into the house.