19

"Why are you lying to me?"

      Mitch looked at him confused, "What are you talking about?" Scott pulled away from him and shook my head.

       "What are you keeping from me Mitch? I heard you talking to Kirstie earlier." Scott said and Mitch's face went white.

      "What did you hear?" He asked shakily. Scott scoffed and looked at him.

      "Does it matter? You're going to tell me either way. You sounded upset. So what happened?" He asked and Mitch fidgeted with his hands before leading them to the couch.

      "You might wanna sit down." He said his voice in almost a whisper. Scott stayed standing in front of him and looked at him seriously.

      "What why?" Mitch looked down with tears in his eyes. Scott walked closer to him and lifted his chin.

      "Mitch what ever it is. It's okay. I love you. No matter what." He said and kissed him lightly on the forehead, "No matter what, Mitch."

      He held Mitch's face in his hands and Mitch looked up into his eyes, "Alex is alive."

****Flashback****

     It had been two days since Mitch had come back from that beach. It was two in the morning when he got the call. Mitch groggily picked up the phone next to a sleeping Scott.

     "Is this Mitch Grassi?" A woman on the other line said and Mitch sat up.

     "Yes this is him." He said in a quiet voice.

     "I'm calling about an Alexander Kirk. You're one of his emergency contacts. His husband we have not been able to reach." Mitch immediately sprung out of bed and ran to the living room.

      "What happened? I t-thought he was dead." Mitch said shaking slightly.

      "They were able to revive him. I'm so sorry for getting the news to you this late there was a mix up with his file and who he was."

      "I-it's okay... Umm where is he? Is he in the hospital?" He asked his voice barely coming out.

       "Um yes the same that his husband was admitted into a few weeks ago. His room number is 46 on the second floor." She said and Mitch nodded.

      "Okay thank you." He whispered before hanging up. He called the police immediately as he grabbed the keys and headed to the hospital.

****

      Scott immediately let go of Mitch, "what?" He whispered looking at Mitch in shock.

      "H-he survived... They put him in jail but I guess they just released him and-" Scott cut him off holding his hand in the air as he shook his head.

     "How long have you known?" He asked and Mitch sighed.

      "I found out that he was released tonight, Kirstie told me." He said and Scott shook his head.

      "No how long have you known he's alive!" Scott said his voice raising.

      Mitch looked down, "I was the first to find out. They called me about two days after I came back to from the beach."

     "Why didn't you tell me!?" Scott yelled and Mitch cowered down.

      "I didn't think he would be released! I didn't want you to live in fear! If he stayed in jail than you would have no reason to know you-" Scott grabbed Mitch's shoulders and looked at him heartbroken.

      "How could you do that to me. How could you lie to me like that. How... could you!?" Scott screamed as he started to sob. He let Mitch go and ran to the door.

      "Scott!" Moth yelled after him but Scott was gone. Scott ran. He didn't know where he was going but he ran. Mitch ran after him but Scott was too far.

     Mitch stopped out of breath and fell to his knees crying. "Fuck." He murmured before pulling his phone shakily out of his pocket.

      He dialed Kirstie's number and she picked up after the second ring. "Mitch?" She asked and he sobbed loudly.

      "He found out... Kirst he left... he ran... I don't know where he went! What do I do!? What do I do Kirstie!?" He sobbed.

     "Hold on hold on. How did he find out!?" She asked and he shook his head crying.

     "He heard us talking and he asked me! I couldn't lie to him anymore... it's too hard. Kirstie what do I do!?" He asked shaking and rocking back and forth on the side walk.

      "It's okay. It's going to be okay! I'm on my way. Just stay inside and try calling him. He'll be okay he'll come home." She tried to consul him.

      "Kirst what he finds him!? What if he never comes back!? What if-" she cut him off.

      "Mitch stop! Stop thinking about what ifs! It'll be okay!" She said and he nodded even though he knew she couldn't see him. He got up slowly and and started to walk back into the house.

      "Can you please stay on the line with me?" He asked quietly his voice cracking.

      "Of course baby I'm almost there." Mitch nodded and closed the door behind him. He sank down to the floor and covered his face with his hands tears running down his cheeks.

       "Please come home Scott." He whispered.