20

****Flashback****

"What do you mean he's alive, Mitch?" Kirstie asked on the other line as Mitch drove to the hospital.

"I don't know Kirst, the hospital just called me. They couldn't get ahold of Scott because Scott canceled his phone after what happened. I guess I was one of his emergency contacts."

"Wow, what are you going to do?" She asked and Mitch shook his head as he pulled into the hospital parking lot.

     "I already called the police. They have a police officer watching his room. As soon as he's better he's going to jail. They have all the evidence, I just have to sign some paper work." He said as he parked the car. "I'm at the hospital now."

      "Don't talk to him Mitch. It's not worth it." She said and he nodded.

     "I know. I don't even know what I would say to him." He said getting out of the car.

      "I gotta go kirst. I'm about to head in. Love you." He said .

      "I love you too. Stay safe." She said and Mitch nodded.

"I will." He said and hung up before he opened the doors into the emergency room.

****

Scott walked into the grocery store that was about a mile away from his house. He walked in and tried to think straight.

Alex is alive. And he's out. What if I see him? What if he hurts me again. How could Mitch lie to me like that. Yeah I wouldn't have been happy that he was alive but at least he was in jail.

He was awoken by his thoughts when some lady almost bumped into him. He moved out of the way and started walking down the aisles. He went to the wine aisle and picked one up.

"You still love wine huh?" Scott flinched at the voice. It was terrifyingly familiar. He snapped his head up and saw the face he'd thought he'd never have to see again.

"You look good. I like the scruff." He said with a smile. Scott cringed and put the wine back and backed away from him.

"You need to stay away from me." He said and alex took a few steps closer.

"Wait! Scott! I just want to ask you something then you're free to go." He said and Scott tensed again.

"Do you still love me?" He asked and Scott looked at him surprised.

"I-i..." Scott stuttered terrified that if he said the wrong thing he would regret it.

Alex smiled wickedly and walked closer to him. "I knew you still loved me." Scott flinched away from him again.

"You need to stay away from me! I never want to see you again! Just stay away from me!" He said running away. He ran out of the aisle and out of the store.

He pulled out his phone and dialed Mitch's number as he ran down the street heading for his house.

Mitch picked up immediately, "Scott!? Where are you!? Are you okay!? I'm so sorry just please come home!" He said and his voice was scratchy as if he had been crying.

"I saw him." His voice cracked, "I saw him Mitch! I didn't think I'd ever have to see him again! But I saw him!"

"What!? Where are you!?" He asked in a worried tone.

"I was at the store but I'm running home. Mitch, he knows where we live! What if he follows me. What if-" he stopped when a car started driving next to him.

"Come on Scott get in the car. I'll take you home." Alex said with the window rolled down.

"No please. Just leave me alone." He said and Mitch's breath hitched on the other line.

"I'm calling the police." Mitch whispered and Scott felt some what relieved.

"Seriously Scott? I'm your husband and you seriously won't take my ride to our home." Scott looked at him horrified.

"You're not my husband and it's not your home anymore. I'm engaged to someone else." Scott said but immediately regretted it.

"Scott they're on there way but they don't know your exact location. Please run." Mitch said as Alex stopped the car suddenly.

Alex got out and Scott immediately broke out into a sprint. But alex was faster than him. Alex grabbed Scott's arm roughly spinning him around.

"Engaged to who!?" He yelled and Scott pulled at his arm to get away, his phone falling to the ground, but his grip was to strong.

"No one! Please Alex just leave me alone!" He pleaded and alex smacked him across the face.

"No you're going to get in the car with me and we're going to go home." He said yanking Scott towards him.

The thought of Mitch at home and Alex going there and hurting him switched something inside him. He pulled alex back with all his strength and swung his fist into his jaw.

Alex groaned and stumbled backwards. He looked back up at Scott in shock. "You've never fought back before." He said looking at Scott.

Scott backed up and started to run. He sprinted home and didn't look back until he got there. He opened the door and Kirstie and Mitch stood up from the couch immediately.

Mitch ran up to him and wrapped his arms around him. Scott held him tightly and started to ball. "I hit him... I hit him..." he said burying his face in Mitch's shoulder.

Scott pulled his head up to look at Mitch, "Please make this okay. Please just make this okay." He said and Mitch's heart broke. He pulled Scott back to him and rubbed him back.

"It's gonna be okay Scott. I promise." He whispered and Scott started to shake. "Shhh, Scott it'll be okay. You're safe now. You're safe." Mitch whispered as Scott sobbed holding onto Mitch for dear life.

"I wish I died in the kitchen those weeks ago. This never would have happened." Scott whispered.