32

Avi and Kevin visited Mitch a few hours after he woke up. Mitch put up a happy front as much as he could but he wasn't happy. Kirstie and Nicole came next and after they left, Mitch was exhausted.

     Thankfully Scott picked up on this and told everyone else who wanted to visit him to come by the next day.

     Scott shut the door after Kirstie and Nicole before walking over to Mitch's bed. Mitch stared blankly down at his hands.

     "I don't want to be here anymore." Mitch sighed frustrated. Scott walked over and Mitch immediately started to scoot over so that Scott could lay down with him.

"I know baby, are you feeling any pain?" He asked and Mitch shrugged.

"They have me on morphine." He said quietly laying his head down on Scott's chest.

"How are you doing, Mitchie?" Scott asked quietly kissing Mitch's head. Mitch just shrugged and  closed his eyes.

     "When can we go home? I just wanna go home." He whispered Scott shook his head.

     "I don't know baby," he whispered, "Soon, the next couple days." He said and Mitch hummed.

     "You're all I have now. My family is gone." He whispered and Scott frowned kissing the top of Mitch's head.

     "You have me, you have kit, and Avi and Kevin, and Nicole. You're not alone Mitch. You're never alone baby."

     Mitch just nodded humming  again before speaking quietly, "I already had to go through this with my mom, I never thought I would have to do this with my dad... at least not for a long time." He started to cry again and he clutched onto Scott harder.

     "I don't want to go through this again! I want him to come walk through that door and make a joke about the luck I have with love. And I want him to be here with us and make me laugh. I don't want to go back home and tell his best friend that he doesn't have a best friend anymore! I don't want to bury him in the ground because I don't want him to be gone! Why'd he have to kill him and our wedding!? Why him? Why-" he stopped talking and fell limp on his chest. Scott looked down and the matching next to him started to beep rapidly.

     "Mitch?" He asked getting up off the bed just as the nurses rushed in. They pushed Scott out of the room and closed the blinds.

Scott cursed to himself and punched the wall opposite from the room. Scott took out his phone with a shaking hand.

      "Hey Scott," the deep voice answered, "How's Mitch doing?" He asked and Scott started to pace running his hand through his hair.

      "I-I know that you're busy with Kevin right now... b-but I need someone with me right now a-and I need you... he had a panic attack a-and his monitor started beeping like crazy a-and they pushed me out of the room..." Scott was rambling and starting to panic.

      "I'm on my way." Avi said immediately, "Take some deep breaths for me Scott, I'll be right there." He said and Scott immediately started to relax slightly.

     Avi hung up and Scott bit his nails nervously as he paced up and down the waiting room. A few seconds later the nurses filed out of the room with a cart with an defibrillator.

One short nurse approached him but he couldn't read her face enough to make a decision on whether to be happy or not.

"You're Scott, yes?" She asked and he nodded nervously. "He's stable, his panic attack added with all the meds we have him on was too much for his heart so he went into cardiac arrest. We were able to stable him but he needs rest and not to be worked up like that again."

Scott nodded and only then did he slightly relax his shoulders, "you may go in now but you have to let him rest." She said and Scott nodded when he felt a hand on his back.

He turned around to see Avi and immediately wrapped his arms around him. "He's not going to be able to get through this, Av." He whispered and Avi shook his head rubbing his back.

"He's going to be fine. We just need to keep him rested and he'll be out of here in no time." Avi said trying to be reassuring but Scott just pulled away.

"That's not what I meant Avi. His dad... He already lost him mom when we were younger and his dad was the only one he had left a-and now..." Scott groaned, "Dammit! What the hell!? Why do bad things keep happening to us!? Why can't we just be happy for more than two seconds before life kicks us on the ass again!?"

Avi pulled Scott back to him and he buried his face in Avi's shoulder. He started to sob for what felt like the thousandth time in the matter of days. "It's not fair Scott. I'm so sorry." Avi whispered rubbing his back, "It's going to be okay, i promise."

"You can't promise that Avi. No matter how much I want to believe you and no matter how much you want it to be true you don't know. You told me the exact thing the night before my wedding and look what happen. Mitch is in the hospital, Kevin's on crutches, and Mitch's dad is dead."

Avi looked up at him with tears in his eyes, "I know. But one of these days it's really going to be okay. You just have to have hope. I know it's hard and it sucks but it will help you survive this until it's okay again." Scott shook his head.

"I'm losing hope Avi. Ever since I entered Mitch's life I've ruined it. I've made life so much harder for him and I-" Avi cut him off looking at him cautiously.

"Scott don't you dare say what I think you're going to say. Mitch's life would not be better without you in it! You two need each other especially now!" Scott shook his head and looked down.

"He wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for me in the first place! He was in love with me for years and I didn't notice and I broke his heart and married a man who I didn't love! I tried to kill myself multiple times in front of him! I even cut him accidentally because I was so focused on ending my own life! My own dau-" Scott fell to his knees. Avi rushed to him and pus a hand on his knee.

"He deserves so much better." Scott whispered and Avi shook his head holding him.

"You both deserve so much better than what has happened to you. None of this is your fault." Avi said as Scott slowly started to drift off to sleep emotionally drained.