5

"A-Alex?" Scott asked looking at Mitch's dark figure hiding in the shadows.

Mitch came to the foot of the bed and looked sadly at Scott.

"Mitch! Oh my god! Are you okay? What happened!?" Scott asked reaching for him to get closer. Mitch walked slowly over to him but still kept his distance.

"Mitch why am I in a hospital bed?" He asked cautiously terrified that the answer was what he thought it was.

"Alex." Was all Mitch said and Scotts heart broke as he looked at the bruised boy in front of him.

"He hurt you?" He asked and Mitch looked down.

"He just... I had to get him off of you. You weren't moving... And... And I had to get him off." Mitch started shaking again.

"Did he hurt you more than I can see." Mitch hesitated not wanting to make a big deal of the bruises that were forming under his shirt.

"No." Scott knew he was lying but could tell there was something bigger that Mitch wasn't saying.

"What is it Mitch? Is Leah okay!? I gave her to you so that she would be safe-"

"She's fine. I made sure she would be." Mitch said cutting him off.

"Where is she?" Scott asked too distracted now that he forgot about how weird Mitch was being.

"Avi and Kevin have her but they're coming." Mitch said looking down. "She knew the whole time. She told me that's why I was there."

"I-I didn't know she knew. I tried to shield her of it and protect her. I'm sorry I didn't tell you Mitch I just... I-"

"I'll talk to you about that later but right now I have to tell you something." Scott looked at him with a small hint of fear in his eyes. "Scott... umm... Alex... Alex is dead."

Scott didn't know how to react, he didn't know what he felt. Was it sadness? Was is relief.

"I had to stop him from hitting you and from hitting me... He was gonna kill both of us Scott... I had to do something..." Mitch held back his tears terrified that Scott was going to hate him, "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to... I just had to stop him." Tears started to fall just as the door burst open and Leah ran in.

"Daddy! You're okay!" She tried to jump up on the bed but couldn't so the made grabby hands at Mitch. He picked her up and set her on the bed.

"Hey baby, I'm okay. Everything is okay now." Scott hugged his daughter squeezing her tight and closing his eyes. Mitch backed up and stood next to Avi and Kevin.

"Did you tell him?" Avi whispered into Mitch ears and he nodded just staring at the love of his life who he almost lost and the beautiful little girl he adored so much. In his mind he thought he just threw all that away by killing Alex.

"Mitchie was so worried he wouldn't stop crying. Did he tell you that he's glad you're okay?" Leah asked sitting back looking from Mitch to Scott.

Scott smiled with tears in his own eyes. "Not particularly but I know he is." Scott said glancing at Mitch for a split second.