6

It had been 2 weeks since the incident and Scott still hadn't seen Mitch since that day in the hospital. Avi and Kevin helped Scott clean up the glass and blood. The carpet was stained in some places but Scott tried not to look at it. He had texted and called Mitch dozens of times but had never gotten a reply.

He had even went to his house but it was completely empty as well as his car gone.  Scott was falling into a depression, only weakly smiling for Leah.

Leah ran around the house care free with her barbies in hand. Scott laid on the couch staring up at the ceiling. He didn't know what to do his thoughts were consuming him.

Why did he leave? Why isn't he coming back?

Scott felt like he was drowning in his thoughts unable to breath. He was losing hope of Mitch ever coming back. The same hope was waking him up in the morning and feeding Leah.

Kevin came over often to help Scott do certain things. Kevin also bought Scotts groceries for him.

Kevin shook Scotts shoulders to save him from his own thoughts. Scott flinched at the touch but relaxed after seeing that it was only Kevin.

"I brought you some groceries." Kevin told him as he sat up rubbing his bloodshot eyes. Scott hadn't slept in days and Kevin knew that this wasn't healthy.

"I'll put them away, you should get some sleep." He told him but Scott shook his head.

"you don't have to keep doing that." He said getting up.

They walked into the kitchen and Scott started to put stuff away, "When was the last time you had a full nights sleep?" Kevin asked Scott and he sighed knowing he couldn't remember.

A few weeks after I got married maybe?" Scott whispered and Kevin's heart broke.

"Please go get some sleep Scott." He pleaded and Scott shook his head.

"I can't." He said truthfully.

"Avi and I can take Leah for a night and you get some sleep." Scott appreciated the gesture but he knew it wouldn't work.

"Thank you Kevin but that's not how it works." He said finished putting the groceries away.

"Scott it isn't healthy." Kevin said and Scott nodded.

"Don't you think I know that? Don't you think that I want to?! I just want everything to stop moving! I just want a second to deal with everything but I can't! I can't do anything! I don't know what to!" Scott took a deep breath with tears in his eyes. "Why isn't he here right now?"

Kevin had tears in his own eyes as he pulled Scott into a big hug.

"I don't know." Kevin hated lying to him but Mitch had only just contacted them that morning and avi went to him. Avi was going to talk some sense into that boy.

"I know that this isn't easy for him either. He probably thinks you hate him. He probably just needs time to process what happened." Scott nodded and pulled away.

"I just need him so bad right now." He whispered and Kevin nodded.

"I know and he'll come back. I promise." Kevin said but could barely believe his own words.

*****
In the last two weeks Mitch had basically lived at a beach a few hours away from his home. He had stayed in a hotel. He hadn't said a word to anyone. All he could do was get up go to the beach and watch the waves. He felt drained. He felt like he was the washed up version of himself. He always cried and he was bruised all over still from the incident.

He had shut his phone off a long time ago. Scary thoughts began to make their way into his head and that's when he knew he couldn't just hide anymore.

He called Avi.

*****
Flashback: 2 weeks before the incident

"I'm worried about him Avi. He's not acting himself lately. It's like he won't just relax." Mitch said, his phone pinned to is ear by his shoulder as he made a salad.

"He's really stressed Mitch, he's gotta a kid. He probably hasn't slept a full nights sleep in a long time." Avi assured him but Mitch didn't quiet believe him.

"I know its just... I don't think Leah's the problem." Mitch whispered.

"What do you think the problem is?" Avi asked and Mitch shook his head not wanting to just point accusations at anyone.

"I... I don't know..." Mitch said but he did know. He didn't know specifically but he knew Alex was the problem. "I wish I could just take Scott away for a weekend just so he can forget about the stress of the world and everything but I can't."

"Why can't you?" Avi asked and that's when Mitch didn't even think about an answer it was obvious.

"Alex. He doesn't like me in the first place. He especially doesn't like it when Scott and I hang out so I don't think he would like the idea of him and I going on vacation for a weekend."

"Ohhhh, so you think Alex is the problem." Avi said as Mitch finished putting his salad together.

"I didn't say that." He said taking out a Tupperware and started dumping the salad into it.

"You literally just said that Mitch." Avi said and Mitch shook his head.

"No I didn't. I said he would have a problem with Scott and I leaving not that-" Avi cut him off.

"Okay then why don't you buy them a vacation?" Avi asked and Mitch stumbled on his words as he put the salad into the fridge for later.

"Because..." Mitch couldn't take it anymore, "He's the problem! Think about it, they always fight and he's always so tense when he comes to my house. He only relaxes after he's been there a bit. Then gets tense again when he has to go home. Alex is stressing him out and I don't think it would help if I gave him a vacation with the person stressing him out!"

Mitch took a deep breath, "I'm sorry... I just..."

"You've been bottling that up haven't you?" Avi asked and Mitch leaned against his counter.

"Yeah. I just hate seeing him like this." Mitch said closing his eyes.

"I know you don't. I know you love him Mitch." Avi said Mitch laughed bitterly shaking his head.

"This sucks! What if I'm just coming up with reasons and assuming that he's unhappy so that I'm some dream world in the back my mind he can be with me!? How sick is that! What the fuck is wrong with me!?"

"Nothing Mitch. If it helps I don't think you're just making things up. He doesn't seem happy even I can see that. Just keep a good watch on him and if you really do think it's Alex then talk to him." Mitch nodded.

"Thanks Avi." He whispered.