Chapter 17: Friendships. (Pt.1)

My mother channel surfed the television looking for our favorite show. After ten minutes my mother threw the remote on the couch cushion beside her and let out a frustrated sigh.

"Ma I think our show is discontinued." I finally spoke up.

"I refuse to believe that!" My mother shouted.

"I know, you've searched for the show for like ten minutes straight." I nodded.

"Maybe they just put it on another channel...yeah that." My mother totally ignored what I said.

"Bahja, Zonnique is on the phone." My step-father stepped inside the room.

"Tell her I said to call back later." I quickly said.

"Zonnique she said to call back later."  My step-father inched his way back into the kitchen.

"Zonnique said you told her that yesterday and this morning." My step-father stepped back in the room.

"I know." I muttered.

"Bahj she said that she didn't know that he was your boyfriend or she wouldn't of talked to him or even went with him..." My step-father said.

"Hang up." I instructed sternly.

"Hang up." My step-father repeated to Zonnique.

"No not her, you." I face-palmed myself.

"Oh!" My step-father chuckled before saying bye to Zonnique and hanging up.

"What's up with you and Zonnique baby?" My mother asked, her eyes still glued to the television.

"Oh nothing." I cleared my throat and began walking to my room.

As I passed Blue's room, I saw her looking at her toys with a sad look on her face.

"Blueberry what's wrong?" I walked inside of her room and got down to her level.

"Toys?" Blue picked up her Barbie doll and held it up to my face.

"Yeah what about them Ivy?" I picked her up and carried her over to the bed.

"Play." Blue squealed.

"Alright. Let's play dolls." I smiled before picking up a doll.

For an hour straight Blue and I played with dolls and the dolls acessories. Then we went outside to the backyard and played explorer, which might I say, was really interesting. After Blue and I wre finishd playing it was time for dinner. This dinner would be terribly awkward because as a family we never really ate dinner together. Once my mother was finished cooking we all sat at the table and prayed before digging in. The tension was thick and so was my mother's spaghetti.

"So how was everyone's day?" My step-father wiped his mouth.

"Sean I think we all should know what each other's day was like since we all live in this same house." My mother giggled lowly.

"Well excuse me for trying to start a conversation to cut the tension." My step-father rolled his eyes playfully.

"Sorry hunny. Oh and Bahja, Tameka called me and said that Zonnique was acting really depressed. Do you know why?" My mother's eyes flicked over to me.

"Oh..uh...no." I shoved some Spaghetti noodles into my mouth.

"Bahja Shamoni Carter." My mother glared at me.

"I don't know anything." I said, my mouth full of noodles and sauce.

"Fine. If you don't know anything, then let's go over there after dinner and find out." My mother dropped her fork on the plate and scooted her chair back.

I panicked for a minute but then an idea popped into my head.