Chapter 34

Pain. That's all Percy felt. Pain. It washed over his body like ice cold water. He gasped for breathe. He was only vaguely aware of Hiccup, Turin, and the two dragons fussing over him.
    He spasmed like he was having a seizure. Sometimes he landed at a terrible angle and dug "Annabeths" dagger further into his back.
    Eventually Hiccup had to pin Percy down with his knee on Percy's back. Percy panted heavily as sweat beaded down his forehead.
    The pain started to subside when it tore through him again at an alarming rate. Percy couldn't move for it was too great. His heart raced. His breathing was ragged.
    He noticed the dagger was at least free of his flesh. He heard it clang as Hiccup threw it across the room. Percy thought for a split second the pain would stop. He was wrong. As soon as the air touched the open wound it burned. Percy let out a long howl of frustration.
Percy felt the sticky blood pool over his back and soak his purple Camp Jupiter hoodie. He lay there in his own blood. This is it.
He heard Hiccup shout. "We need to clog it!" People from the cages in the wall beat at their bars and walls. Many barely knew Percy but wanted him safe, alive, and well. He heard a loud crash which he though was the dragon cages coming down from the ceiling. The dark cavern rumbled. A few torches blew themselves out. Percy slipped into darkness again.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

When Percy looked up Toothless and Hiccup were standing over him. They had apparently found a beach on the island. The dragons must have carried everyone there.
Hiccups eyes widened. "You're awake!" He said. Then he turned to the large crowd of people milling behind him. "He's awake!" The people cheered.
Percy groaned and tried to sit up. "How long have I been out?"
"Don't sit up." Hiccup gently pushed Percy down again. "You're just barely alive."
Percy obediently laid back down. "Where's Loki?" He wheezed out.
"Turin went through our bag and found some bronze netting. He threw it over Loki trying to subdue him and then the cave started collapsing."
Percy stared at the sky. Clouds covered the sun but the star still provided much light. "That'd be why. Gods can't use their powers if they are covered in celestial bronze netting. Loki must have been keeping the place stable while he was there. Where's Loki now?"
Hiccup pointed down the beach. "I had my best men watch him. He won't get away, don't be scared."
Percy groped for his bag barely daring to lift his head. "Hand me my pack." He said. It was nosed over to him by the black dragon, Toothless. Hiccup patted him as he watched what Percy was doing.
Percy found his little ambrosia squares. He ate one and felt the pain become a dull throb. Eventually he would have to eat more but now it wasn't safe. It might burn him.
He also knew that for now the ambrosia was only setting the pain aside, not able to heal it yet. Percy let the taste if his moms blue chocolate chip cookies overtake his senses as he watched the baby blue sky.