Chapter 20

I hadn't realized my birthday was so soon because I hadn't actually celebrated it in a decade. I used to see the date may be a week or two after my birthday had passed and figured out that I was a year older than I had thought I was. Sometimes it would be months after my birthday that I'd learn that I was no longer eleven or fourteen. Birthday's weren't celebrated while London had me mostly because it brought attention to you which was something you didn't want in the environment. Attention was like placing a sign on your back saying rape me.

I hadn't told my family I was expecting and had remained in my room when my Dad would come home so he wouldn't notice me throwing up every hour. Morning sickness was a misleading name because it didn't end in the morning. I preferred the name Nausea and Vomiting while pregnant (NVP). I didn't want my family to know mainly because I knew that they would freak out on me. This was a serious new development in my life and I was scared of how they would react.

Marco was already baby crazy and I had to tell him to wait until we were, further along, to start buying baby clothes because we could have complications at any time. He was treating me more like a delicate flower than ever which was grating on my nerves. I couldn't have coffee or sodas, or run like the average person was able to do. If he was around I was barely allowed to lift a finger or do anything for myself

"Uncle Ewum Grandaddy said to come downstairs and eat," Cartier said toddling into my room with her hand in her mouth. She was so cute I hoped that my child would look just as pretty and have a similar personality to her's. 

"Come here Car," I said holding my arms out for a hug. She ran into my arms squealing and I picked her up and gave her a bunch of small kisses.

"Aww you're so pretty and you're going to be so smart when you grow up. Always remember that smarts a better compliment than pretty, anyone can be pretty naturally or with the help of science and well-placed strokes of makeup but not everyone can be smart," I said and she began playing in my hair not understanding what I was saying.

"Now your uncle is going to have to use his smarts to figure out how to get out of drinking on my 21st birthday," I said leaving my room and making my way downstairs where everyone was in the living room drinking. I was really jealous since I had waited so long to drink. London would drug me but he didn't like his boys drinking so u never tasted it before. Thalia walked over to me and looked me deep in the eyes before squealing and taking Cartier out of my hands running to sit her on Pine who smiled at the little girl who was plopped in his lap. She ran back over to me and pulled me upstairs back into my room and closed the door quietly.

"So he finally broke that back down huh," she said smiling.

"What," I played like I didn't understand the question. Usually, with phrases like the one she had used, I could feign ignorance but she wasn't dumb and we both knew that.

"Marco put his penis in you? You're pregnant, nigga you're almost luminescent. You could glow in the dark," she said and I blushed at her statements.

"Oh my god how far along," she asked smiling and placed her hand on my flat stomach.

"Three weeks," I said.

"And you haven't told your dad and brothers," she asked in disbelief.

"No I'm scared, I'm going to tell them today I mean I really don't have that much of a choice since I can't drink anything. I only found out two days ago. I'm waiting for Marco to get here for support," I answered.

"Support for what? Those men down there love you no matter what. Do you know how happy they were when they figured out that I was having Cartier, your Dad loves grandbabies? Are they going to be scared for you and a little angry well, of course, they are but by the time you go to bed they will all be on your ass about doctors visits and your chemical intake? Probably argue about if you can have cake or not. Plus I got your back so that's one huge consign," Thalia said kissing my cheek.  I like her being around she was like the cool older sister I never had but always wanted as a young child.