Chapter 5

I laid on my side bleeding onto the concrete and feeling sore but I was still determined to make it to that damned train. My face was pressed against the disgusting ground and blood dripped from my nose like a leaky faucet. The guy at the alley entrance looked at Jack and Manny with a threatening gaze. He was at least six foot five and was light skinned, looked a bit ethnic so I guessed he might have been a little latino. His hair, eyebrows, and beard were dark and cut nicely giving a great contrast with his skin tone which was the color of barely toasted toast. He possesses these beautiful plump lips with a defined Cupid's bow and had muscles that filled out his running clothes.

"What's going on here," he asked with a tone that conveyed so much authority in his voice that Manny stumbled back a few steps. He walked over and made eye contact with me giving me a nod like he was trying to tell me that he was there for me.

"Look man back the hell up," Manny said pulling out his gun and in an instant, the man disarmed Manny and pistol-whipped him knocking him into the nearby wall. He bounced off the brick exterior and the man used the momentum from Manny's movement to grab and twist his arm and pushed him back up against the wall. The man then pointed the gun at Jack who was reaching for his own gun that had scrape marks from when I knocked it on the ground. Jack lifted his hand up and looked at the man with fear evident in his eyes.

"I can't talk to you, you don't seem like you're going to be any help," he said and pulled Manny back to his chest and threw him into the wall face first with extreme force. Manny fell to the ground bleeding from his forehead and snoring. The man turned around to Jack with the gun aimed at his chest and his finger on the trigger.

"Now how do you want to play this bruh," he said his voice not being one anyone would want to challenge.

"I'll go," He said breathing heavily and looked at me.

"Hit me first," Jack said which made me look at him puzzled. I felt a little dizzy from all the hits I had received so I wasn't sure I heard him correctly.

"What," the man asked equally confused by the odd request.

"If I come back without him and without looking hurt my boss will kill me, so hit me and please get him out of here," Jack said getting in the guy's face. The man looked at him and nodded before punching him in the eye not needing any more convincing. Jack cursed then looked at me with his good eye his hand over the other that I could tell was already starting to bruise.

"Stay safe and get out of town ma," he said then took off running out of the alley and out of my line of sight.

"Are you okay," the guy immediately asked getting down and picking me up. I flinched a little at his touch not knowing if he was another rapist or something.

"I'm not going to hurt you I'm Technical Sergeant Marco Tafferty, who are you and what's going on," he asked removing his hands from my body.

"I-i'm Elm Euthenia and I need to get to the train station," I said breathing heavy.

"Why don't I take you to the Hospital first you look like you need medical attention, and why were those men after you," he asked looking concerned. I ignored his questions and struggled to get up feeling sore and tired. I started walking and almost fell from a sudden feeling of disorientation before he caught me.

"Look let's take you to go see a doctor."

"No I have to get to the train by three thirty," I interjected.

"Why is the train so important you could be hurt," he said.

"Look I'm not going to the hospital right now, thank you but I need to get on the train and get out of town before more people come looking for me," I said and began walking to the train as my body started producing adrenaline.