Seventy One

{edited}

May POV

It's Sunday afternoon and Ellie and her boyfriend are in the living room watching TV.

I really don't want to go back to school tomorrow. I'm already excited for Summer. I hate the heat really, I just don't like going to school.

As I'm about to leave the house to head to Adam's house I hear her boyfriend say something.

"So, which one is your half sister?" My heart drops and my hands become sweaty.

"May." My eyes widen. "Don't say anything though." I stand there shocked.

What did I just hear?

"Sadie are you down here?!" I remain quiet. I'm standing in the hallway stunned.

"Hey May." Ellie chirps. Her face drops. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" I ask. "Well, thanks for informing me that I'm your half sister." Her face falls.

"May-"

"No, I'm just going to go."

"Fuck, I didn't want you to hear that." Ellie follows behind me.

"So, which parent do I share with you?" I ask.

"Mom." I bite down. "Just come inside and I'll explain it to you."

"Just tell me now." I say.

"Dad's brother is your father." My eyes widen.

"Uncle Nick?" I ask. "What? How?" I manage to say.

"Mom had an affair on Dad with Uncle Nick. He didn't," She pauses.

"Just say it." I say.

"He didn't want you as a daughter so Mom decided not to tell Dad until you were older."

"He has three other kids so..."

"You have five half siblings."

"Does his wife know?" Ellie nods.

I feel completely numb. "Sadie and I wanted to tell you, but-"

"Tell me when?" I ask. "When I have kids of my own?"

"May, please just--we still think of you has our full sister."

"That doesn't fix that the reason why Dad hates me. It's because I am not his and he didn't even know I wasn't his actual daughter. I am a reminder that his wife cheated on him with his brother."

"He doesn't hate you." Ellie defends. I stare at her blankly. "They're coming back home tomorrow, ask them questions." My face falls.

"Isn't Uncle Nick coming over this up coming weekend?" Ellie nods. "Wow, that should be lovely." I spit.

"I'm sorry." I don't respond I just walk off my porch and get in my car.

***

"Hey May." Anne's voice chirps happily.

"Hi." I try to sound happy. "Is uh, Harry home?"

"Yes, he's just upstairs. Come on in." I step into the warm house. "You know your way, right?" I nod with a soft smile.

I walk up his fluffy steps and see his door is open. I step in he speaks. "Mom I did the dishes-" Harry looks up. "Oh." His eyes widen. "Hey."

"Hi." I bite my lip. "Um, I kinda didn't know who to talk to, and you were oddly the first person who would make me feel um calmer, so." Harry stands.