Bum's Choice

You can't say how long you've been in the basement. The only thing you're conscious of is the parching thirst. Your throat is dry that even that little leak that sounds somewhere in the basement is appetizing. You attempt to shift in the position you are in but it is difficult because of the way you're hogtied and cuffed to the radiator.

Sangwoo walks down the stairs with a tall glass of water in one hand and the big butcher knife in the other which he places rapidly in the back pocket of his jeans. He sits the water on his workbench fetching the first-aid kid box before squatting in front of you.

"Just finish me, Sangwoo," You plead quietly.

He scowls at your words, "Stop saying that. You know it pisses me off." He takes the knife and begins to saw the thick rope that ties your ankles to your wrists behind you. "I don't want to get rid you. You're here because you are being punished."

The rope rips and he eases you on your knees. Your hands are still tied behind you. He tosses your long strands over your shoulders and pushes your chin up with his thumb, "I am going to change these bandages so you can go upstairs. Bum is worried about you. The least you can do is do your part and behave. Can't you see that you hurt him when you act out? We're like his children."

You nod stiffly with your neck craned back while Sangwoo unwinds the bloodstained bandages around your throat. He replaces them with new ones over the long knife wound that extends down the length of your neck all the way to the base. You can't stop swallowing and eyeing the tall water glass in his work bench. After the bandages are in place, he smooths your hair back and cups the side of your face.

"I want you to be part of this family forever, YN, but this is your last chance." He smiles kindly at you and you force yourself to meet his gaze. You even smile back and for the first time, your smile looks genuine.

Fucking psycho.

"Can I have a drink of water, please?"

He unties you completely and hands you the glass, which you take hold off eagerly. The cool water spills over your naked skin as you drink, cooling the rope rash over your breasts. He takes the glass away from you before you even satisfy your thirst.

"You're going to get a belly ache drinking so fast like that." He throws the water that is left on the basement floor and places the glass down to take you in his arms. "Up we go, I am already running late for work." He scowls down at you, "You need a shower desperately."

                Sangwoo leaves you at the front door of the bathroom and heads out to work. The moment Bum's big eyes see you he drops from his swivel chair and gets on his hands and knees crawling to you until his arms are wrapped around you. He plants little kisses over your face, down your injured neck.

"I am sorry, Bum." He meets your gaze with that eggplant bruise on his cheek. You run your hand down the side of his face, "You're hurt because of me. The one thing I promised I'd never do."

"It's not your fault." His arms tighten around you, "You're here that's all that matters. You're alive."

I am not.

"I love you, Bum. I do."

"Me too," He says pressing his lips delicately over yours, "So don't scare me like that again." He gives you a slight smile and uses the door knob of the bathroom to pick himself up, 'I'll run you a bath."

              ******************

Bum runs the soapy washcloth between your breasts and over the ligature marks that run over them. He begins to ask you what you want for dinner as if the events of before never happened. Bum would easily continue living in this nightmare if Sangwoo kept him alive but it's strange how different you feel now. Before you would do anything to keep yourself alive too...but now the thought of living did not hold that same allure as it did before and Bum's love and affection are not enough to get rid of the self-loathing that brands your skin. You reach over the bathtub and kiss Bum's forehead.