Stormy Night

Sangwoo Jr screamed in frustration the moment he threw the last bit of dirt over FN's resting place. He dropped the shovel beside the freshly dug dirt. He breathed in the air and looked up at the sky that was clouded by the tall trees. He had searched that night for hours with her in his arms until he found the perfect spot. A place far away from that son of a bitch Seung. No one would find them in this forest. He was sure of it.

He sobs, his chest vibrating in the intensity of his turmoiled emotions. He doesn't cry because of what he has done to her. He felt no ounce of guilt. She deserved every bit of suffering...she had stepped all over his feelings with no care in the world, she had betrayed him by giving away the one place he felt safe. He was more upset that she had died...that he couldn't keep her alive. He remembers how she cursed him in her last breath.

You might've gotten away with this now, but you'll pay. You'll pay for all you've done.

With her gone, he found no reason to hide the irritating and twisted thoughts that came to his mind about his mother. FN; the only replacement he had for that woman...was dead. He had no other choice, but to face the demon that lived inside him and embrace him. What he found peculiar and awfully amusing was the fact how oddly free he felt.

In other occasions, he would stay in his shack in the woods and wait for his emotions to die down. He would bury all the twisted images, all the twisted thoughts, and return to normal Sangwoo. The Sangwoo everyone loved. But that safe place no longer existed. FN had tainted the moment she told Seung about it. She had ruined it when both died there. This place would die along with them.

He didn't think about going to his hotel room and washing up. Hiding any evidence was the farthest from his mind. His hair was a mess, his shirt stained with blood from the oozing wounds of her body. He thought about only one thing: You.

He saw you every time he blinked.

There was no use hiding behind his mask anymore. He would take what he wanted from you tonight. If everything went to hell come daybreak...at least he'll know what it feels like to force you to love him.

When the sound of thunder enters his ears and the lightning illuminates his path, he smiles. Even the weather will be working out in his favor tonight.

******

You have dread sinking your tummy when you place the cup of tea in front of Mrs. Choung, Seung's mother. She is pissed more than worried. You sit on the opposite end of the table while Bum waits in your bedroom. You know is best for him to wait considering the guest. Mrs. Choung had been at your house another time before...the day Jinwoo went missing. The man that Bum had killed in a fit of temporary insanity.

Mrs. Choung was an older lady with graying hair. Her face was creased with wrinkles and bad makeup that made her look older than what she was.

"I can't believe they eloped and did not even tell Sangwoo. Are you sure he doesn't know anything?"

You bring your steaming cup towards your mouth. You blow on the liquid before taking a tiny sip.

"He doesn't know, Mrs. Choung. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I believe he might have had a fight with FN because he changed his number." This is a lie of course but she doesn't know. The number change gives her a reason of why he didn't answer her calls. You have perfected lying ages ago. You smile kindly, playing the role of good mother rather well. "I thought Seung was in his university." You place the tea back down on your table.

"He was visiting for the long weekend. He told me he was going to go out for a while...and of course, I believed him. He broke up with that girl, FN, a long time ago...I can't believe he would throw away his dreams. I have called and called this past month and he doesn't answer. The last message I sent him was threatening to call the police."

"He can marry and still pursue his dreams, Mrs. Choung."

She looks at you then, her eyes narrowed at you as if she couldn't believe that you would say such a thing. She was a traditional woman who pushed her dreams on to her sons. It was funny to you how people worried about such foolish things.

"Maybe it might have worked out for you, but not for those who strive for greater goals in life."

You smirk at the insult in her comment.

"Of course. My mistake."

She takes her cup to her lips and then gives you a tentative smile.

"I am sorry. I am just worried. You don't mind if I wait for Sangwoo to return from the grocery store, do you?"

You stand up from the table and accommodate the hem of your dress. "Actually, I do mind. There is a storm coming and I don't wish for you to interrogate my son over something so silly as your son eloping."

She looked as if you had slapped her. She stands up unable to believe those words were coming from the sweet ex-worker of her dead husband.

"S-silly?! You will never understand the sacrifices I have made to push my children through school and guide them the right direction. When Jinwoo died--"

"I'll have Sangwoo call you when he gets home," You interrupt brusquely taking her unfinished cup of tea and taking it to the sink.

Mrs. Choung stands up reluctantly and grabs her purse as you wait at the start of the hall to walk her to the front door. You follow silently behind her, noticing as she glances at the huge space where you picture collage frame used to be. You hold the door open for her as the dark sky and moist wind receive you. The trees bend and dance furiously as the storm comes closer. Mrs. Choung turns to face you with a sternness that is permanent on her face. You can't help, but notice the lipstick imprints on her teeth now that she is so close.

"Call me when he returns," she demands and then adds a soft, "Please."

"Of course," you say before she rushes out to her car. You watch her get in and continue observing her as she reverses and drives away just as the heavy rain begins to fall with fury.

With a sigh, you close the door and head back to the kitchen. You find Bum waiting for you at the edge of the dining table.

"Why did you cover for him? Do you think he helped them elope?" He fidgets with the buttons on his oversized pajama blouse. "Or-or do you think he did something to them?"

You walk to him and cup his face. There is a worry on his features and his big eyes are full of questions. He found you odd ever since the day you destroyed the shrine and the picture frame. He fears that something might've broken inside you again....

"Should I take my medicine?" he asks this in curiosity of what you will respond. Rational and logical, YN, would say yes.

You shake your head and lower to peck his lips. "You don't have to worry about that anymore. Go up to the bedroom. I'll be there in a bit."

Bum nods briefly. He was right. You are not logical right now. He feels scared at the calm aura around you. Maybe it had something about you fixing things.

"Are you sure you are okay?" He asks before breaking away from you and turning on his feet to do as you order.

"Yes, I'll be up there soon."

You clean up the kitchen focusing on the irregular sounds of rain and thunder. You start to wash the dishes when the lights go off. You gasp taken aback by the sudden darkness. You grope around in the darkness until you find your cabinets where you had emergency supplies. You sigh in relief when you finally find the flashlight. It takes a couple of bangs against your palm to make it work and you decide to call it a night and head upstairs.

You alarm when you hear shuffling and the audible sound of rain coming from the opened door. You gulp thickly and walk towards the front door. You already know who it is, yet your stomach flips and drops as if you were expecting someone else entirely. You point the shaky light towards the tall dark figure. You see familiar eyes looking at you with a crazed gleam that instinctively tells you to run, but you don't. You won't. You were going to fix this. You would make it all better.

"Sangwoo," you say gently

"Mother," he says back and closes the door behind him.