"Hey Char." She looks up and gives me a small smile.

"Morning."

"Guess what."

"You bought me food." I chuckle and shake my head as I held her ticket behind me. "Awe, no food?"

"I'll buy you food after this."

"A book?"

"Great guess, but no."

"Is it... clothing?"

"Char, we just went on a shopping spree for clothes yesterday."

"I'm not sure," she shrugs with the most innocent look. How could Hayes ever want to break up with her? I bring out the ticket from behind to show her. Excitement and happiness shows in her eyes as she jumps up from her seat and walks around to hug me.

"It's official! I'm really excited!" I smile as I notice Hayes walking in. We make eye contact for just a moment before he looks away.

~End of second period~

The bell rings and I look across the room where Charlotte is packing up her things to leave. I quickly pack up and make my way over to her. As she is standing, I approach her and she turns to me with a small smile.

"Hey," She says and we begin to walkout of pre-calc and we make our way towards her locker. "How are you?"

"I should be asking you that," I faintly smile. "How are you doing?"

"I'm... doing so so. It's difficult. Hayes is in AP Chem with us."

"Do you want to skip the class?" I ask with worry. I can tell this makes her uncomfortable.

"No, it's fine. I have to face him at some point." I nod as we approach her locker. We approach her locker and she puts her combo in before it opens. I look out and see Grayson is approaching us with excitement.

"Hey Char!" He says enthusiastically and hugs her from behind. She giggles slightly and I smile. At least Hayes isn't on her mind every possible second.

"Hi Gray."

"I haven't seen you all weekend. How have you been lady?" Instantly I notice Char's expression changing.

"Oh... it's fine." She closes her locker. "Hayes broke up with me." She walks away and my mouth parts. We both follow behind and Grayson shoots me a look.

"What? Are you serious?"

"It's official Gray. I'm surprised he hasn't told everyone yet."

"Char... I had no idea. I'm sorry." She shrugs and I realize she's actually not okay whenever he is mentioned. Shoot. "Do... you want me to beat him up for you?" I shoot Grayson a glare.

"N-no," She says afraid that he'd actually do it. She turns around and stops so suddenly that we both almost crash into her. She looks uncomfortable. Grayson has a look of sympathy and guilt.

"Um... is there anything I can do?"

"No," She says softly after a moment. "I don't think so." Grayson looks towards me as she walks into Chem without saying bye to Grayson.

"What about Ball Friday?"

"I'm taking her," I say. "Apparently Hayes didn't want to take her and he just sold their tickets."

"What the hell? What is wrong with him? Why would he be so cruel? He should have known how much this meant to her."

"Apparently not. He just blamed everything on her and I know Char is a mess. She's just fighting it and it makes me angry Hayes would even blame their relationship all on her. She did nothing wrong."

"I'll... talk to him."

"She doesn't want to get back together with him. Hayes really hurt her."

"He's not getting away with this." Grayson is angry and I should probably get him away from here before Hayes arrives.

"Don't do something stupid. I should make sure Chars fine." Grayson nods and says a quick bye before going to his next class.

•Charlotte Carpenter

I close my eyes painfully as I take a deep breath. Hayes is also in this class. This doesn't help anything. How will I lrespond here or will he say anything at all to me? He wants space, but I'm also his lab partner. We sit at the same table.

I open my eyes as I bit the inside of my lip and look towards the door. Jacob walks in and walks over to take his usual seat next to me.

"Do you want to switch seats?" He asks kindly. I nod and we switch quickly as I look down at the black lab table. We only have this week of school. The next week on friday we have our commencement. I take a seat in Jacobs seat as I look towards the door to see Hayes walking in.

His head down and one of his hands gripping the strap of his bag. He makes his way over here and I avoid eye contact with him as he takes his usual seat. I keep my head down as he realizes I am not sitting next to him.

"Hey..." Hayes says slowly to Jacob I assume.

"Hi." I keep my eyes to the music I took out to keep me looking preoccupied. It's a few minutes before he spoke again.

"Hey Char." My heart accelerates and I continue to look at the music. I can feel the both of them are looking at me. How can he greet me like nothing has happened? I don't say anything as the final bell has finally rung.

Class begins with a movie because we have nothing to learn at this point. We all took our AP exams in May. I keep my eyes averted to the music when I hear the phone go off at the front of the classroom. I look up to see Mrs. Len looking towards our group. She ends the call and quietly makes her way back here.

"Jacob, the counselor would like to see you. You should bring your things," She says before making her way back to her desk. Jacob sighs and looks towards me worriedly.

"I'll see you in a bit Char," Jacob says to me. I nod as I notice Hayes watching the two of us. He stands and takes his bag before leaving the class through the side of the room. Now it's only Hayes and I at the lab table.

"Char?" I look towards Hayes who is calm. "Can we talk?"

"No." He sighs and looks down guiltily.

"You probably hate me."

"I rather not talk to you." I look back down at my music. It's silent except for the movie playing. He tries again a few minutes later.

"Let me at least tell yo-" I abruptly stand and the stool makes a sound grabbing every student's attention. Feeling upset and bothered that Hayes can suddenly think it's okay to have a normal conversation after weeks or even months of avoiding me. He even said himself that it's my fault that he wanted to end things between us. I pick my bag up and take my bag as I go straight for the door.

~

I'm really excited for you guys to read the rest of the story. I'm currently working on the ending of the last few chapters and it's really coming to a closing end (on my end). You guys have plenty chapters to go

Book 3 or no?

Next update: Wednesday