Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

"That is true."

"Tell me. What happens if you let him go? You return to Hoju and meet another guy who lets you down because you two have different ways of living that clash. Then you let him go. Then it continues and you end up alone. You fight with friends and have fall outs with them, so why wouldn't you fight with your partner similarly? If he hasn't cheated on you or is secretly married, I don't see how a little communication issue in the beginning of a relationship can stop you two from being together."

I bit my lip and looked down. She was right. But I was still hesitant. Maybe I was too messed up for Joon Soo? Maybe he deserved better rather than I did?

"Think about it."

Hye Ri and her mother came back into the room and not another word was said from grandmother.

*

When we returned to Seoul late afternoon the next day, a familiar figure was waiting at the front of SNU, leaning against his motorbike.

He got off his bike as we approached, with furrowed eyebrows and crossed arms.

"Where have you been? I thought you took off back to Hoju!"

"We were in Busan with Hye Ri's family," I explained.

"I will head in," Hye Ri said, glancing awkwardly between us. "Let you two talk..."

As soon as Hye Ri was out of sight, Suk Do Yun pulled me against his chest and wrapped his arms around me. "I was waiting here every day, hoping to see you."

"That's a waste of time."

"Well I don't have Hye Ri's number and your phone was turned off. Joon Soo wouldn't tell me anything either."

I slipped out of his embrace and took a step back, looking at him disapprovingly. "You bothered him?"

"Of course! I had to know where you went!"

"Do you really think I'd leave without telling you?"

"Probably. Who knows. You left Seoul for a week without telling me."

A sigh escaped my mouth. "Why must I report to you? You're only a friend, Do Yun."

"Because I... I... I care about you."

"Well I was in Busan and I'm back now." I started to walk past him when his hand grabbed me by the arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"Don't go," he said.

"I'm tired and want to go to bed."

"Please. I missed you. I've been scared the past week that you left."

A sigh escaped my mouth. "Fine."

*

We didn't go anywhere in particular, just walked around the shops nearby. The sun slowly set and the streetlights turned on, illuminating our way.

"So, did you talk to him?"

I nodded.

"What did say?"

"He came just before my operation started and left when he knew I was okay."

"What a hero," he mumbled under his breath, yet I still caught his words.