Mama's Girl

I pull into my apartment complex, and go to my neighbour that lives under the people two doors away from me. I knock on the door a couple of times until Ms. Dorothy answers the door. Her hair is in rollers, and she has a silk bonnet on so she must have thought I would be all night, but it's Sunday meaning I have school on Monday I always get to leave early if I have school.

"Hi Ms. Dorothy, how was she?"

"She was a sweetheart, like always." She steps aside to let me in, I followed her to the living room, and there she was asleep on the couch.

"She just went to sleep she tired herself out watching Spongebob."

"Thank you so much." I reach into my purse pulling out a fifty to give to her even though I know she won't take it. But it can't hurt to try.

"Now you know I won't take that. She's like my grandchild, and grandmothers don't get paid to watch their grandma. Put that in the bank like I always tell you."

"Yes ma'am." I shake her little frame to wake her up. She tiredly rubs her eyes wiping the sleep from them. When she sees me she wraps her arms around my neck.

"Mommy!!!"

"Hi baby, you ready to go home?"

"Yes, bye Grandma Dory."

"Bye Sweetness." Ms. Dorothy gives us both a hug and a kiss on the cheek. We trailed up the stairs to my two bedroom apartment. When we were in I sent her off to her room to sleep. I'm tired too so I lay on my bed I'll take a shower in the morning. So basically I'm sixteen, I'm a stripper, and I have a child. By now you've labeled me with the word hoe. That would be where you're wrong! My cookie is still here, Symphony is not my child. I adopted her when I was thirteen. I found her in an ally when I was coming from work one day. I was already emancipated so I didn't have to worry about my mom getting involved. When they asked what my relation to her was I told them she was my sister, but the saw through it. When they found her biological mother she told them to give her to me. I happily brought her home with me, I was gonna make sure at least one child didn't grow up like I did or worst than I did. And my Symphony was headed for worst, an orphanage is a terrible place for a new born. But she's got me as a mom and, she rarely wants for anything she's as happy as any three year old can be. I'd better get to sleep we both have school in the morning. But I have to wait first, five, four, three, two, one. And here are the pitter patter of her little feet.

"Mommy can I sleep with you?"

"Come on," I hold the covers up for her to get in. She snuggles up to me as I kiss her forehead. "Night Symphy."

"G'night Mommy."

With that we went to sleep, this was us, and we were all we needed. She was well taken care of, and I had a family.