“No thanks.” She said and went to push herself up. Rose’s elbow complained from the movement and she dropped back down. Her cheeks flushed scarlet with embarrassment at her incompetence.

“I’m Jet. Please, let me help you. It looks like you have hurt your elbow.” Jet reached down to take her arm but she pulled away from him. This guy was being too nice to her, Rose decided. She didn’t believe for a second that it was genuine. No one that didn’t know she was sick was this nice to her. Rose was becoming very weary of this guy for reasons she made up stupidly in her mind.

“Rose,” she said nonchalantly. “And that’s an unfortunate name. Did your parents name you because of your hair?” Rose said her voice hostile. Jet chuckled, non-affected by her bad attitude. He liked this girl already. She had spunk. Jet decided that he wanted to get to know Rose, even though it was clear she didn’t feel the same way. Jet knew how to make girl go weak at the knees, which may have been the reason Rose intrigued him. Usually girls took one look into Jet’s capturing green eyes and become flustered. Not Rose, she was different and Jet liked that. For once though Jet was captured, captured by Rose’s bright blue eyes.

“No. Did your parents name you Rose because you blush the colour of red roses.” it wasn’t a question but a statement. Rose gave an unconscious look of defeat. Jet held his hand out once more and she hesitantly took it. Rose hadn’t known she was blushing. The fact that he told her she was blushing made her cheeks reach burning point.

“Not too fast,” She told him, hating how hopeless she looked, and slowly got her feet. She used more of Jet’s strength then she would have liked but decided not to care. Jet frowned at how fragile she looked but didn’t comment because her embarrassment was clear to him. He was worried that she might have been hurt from getting knocked over. “Touché.” Rose said in a monotone and took her hand back. Jet held her gaze a moment more. A warm feeling touched her, scared by the feeling she broke eye contact. What is wrong with me? Rose wondered then sighed and turned away. The last thing she wanted was to fall for the new guy. She quickened her pace and didn’t dear look back at the handsome guy that just helped her. She thought it must have been his sense of humour, she always liked guys that made her laugh.

Rose wasn’t used to feeling happy at school, not including when she got her grades back. She knew as soon as Jet was told about her that he wouldn’t be so nice. No one could understand why she had been so cruel to some of her best friends. Rose was positive that Jet would ignore her like everyone else at the school. In the students eyes Rose wasn’t the friendliest person in the school anymore and she liked it that way, in fact she preferred it. Only they didn’t know it was an act. Rose’s life was a masquerade ball, though she was the only one wearing a mask, hiding her true being because she truly thought that was the best way. She believed that she was keeping her friends, the people that still meant the world to her, from the inevitable hurt that would come.

Rose arrived at her English class just on time. Her teacher smiled as she entered, a smile that Rose returned. Rose took her usual seat at the back corner and slouched in the chair. Rose knew the teachers would be talking about absolutely nothing that held any importance to her so she popped in her head phones and turned on her favourite artist. Norah Jones. Her mum used to play one of her albums in the car and her parents used to dance to Norah Jones’s songs in the kitchen when they had put Rose to bed, but she secretly sat on the stairs and watched them. So ever since Rose was old enough to have a portable music player she had Norah Jones’s songs in her play list.

In no time she found herself relaxing and forgetting all about Jet. The best thing about being invisible was that no one noticed you. Rose was so good at sinking into the background that she was practically a chameleon. It took a while but she believed it was worth it. Now don’t get the wrong idea. Rose may have been listening to her music in class instead of listening to the teacher but there was nothing of importance being said. First day lesson’s were as boring as watching grass grow, most of her class didn’t bother to listen either. Rather they doodled in their books, passed notes, text, or whispered when they were out of the teachers’ eye.