16

Over the next few days, Nick and I stayed at Joe's house. Him and Ashley were okay with us staying there, to make Delilah more comfortable while we watched her. Nick and I had both packed suitcases, and didn't really go back home while we babysat her. I swear, Ashley thanked me at least a million times over.

"How was the studio today?" I asked as I stood at the stove making sauce for spaghetti as Nick came in the door. Delilah ran to him right away. It felt like we had our own little family and I was taking in every last second of it.

"Good. We got a lot done today. How's your day?" He came and kissed me with his niece hanging on his leg. He picked her up, kissing her cheek.

"It was good. I am so mentally drained though. Delilah has been talking my ear off ever since we got home." I made a face at the little girl, getting her to giggle.

"Well, I hope it gets better. I'll be in the living room with this monster." He glanced at his niece.

"I am not a monster Uncle Nicky!" She defended.

"Sure." He rolled his eyes and took her into the next room. I continued to cook. Watching Nick with her broke my heart. We'd never be able to have that, and now that he knew that, I partially felt like he resented me for it. Of course, I haven't told him this feeling.

"Dinner!" I called, putting it all on the table. I remembered where Ashley said the plates were, and set them out.

"Dang it, you beat me princess." Nick said as Delilah ran ahead of him into the kitchen. He gave a smile and I only rolled my eyes.

"I'm flying out to Atlanta tomorrow, then to LA. My big show." My smile dropped as he said this, and I sat in the chair. I really wanted to see it.

"I really wanted to see it baby." I said sadly.

"Well, you can. Joe said it's okay if we take Delilah with us, just that we get her things from school for the next couple days."

"What about work? I can't just get up and leave, I'm running out of vacation days." I whine, getting Delilah some food and putting it on her plate. Nick looked at me from across the table, eyebrows raised.

"Well, that's up to you-"

"I wanna go." I blurted, cutting him off.

"Then it's settled. How many more vacation days do you have?"

"Well, if I take these two...then I have three more after that."

"We'll leave tomorrow afternoon. That'll give us enough time for us to get all our stuff ready and get her homework and whatever." He glanced to his niece who was increasingly getting spaghetti sauce on her face. I laughed and wiped it off carefully.

After dinner, Nick and I cuddled on the couch with Delilah, watching some kid movie she wanted to watch with us. I lay in Nick's arms between his legs and Delilah was on my lap as we watched it.

"She should probably go to bed. It's almost seven." I looked up to my fiancé, and he nodded.

"Time for bed little bug." Nick said to Delilah and she happily got off the couch, raising her arms so he'd pick her up and carry her. They left the room, going up the stairs.

When he came back down, I had switched the tv to some random channel. He sat by me on the couch.

"What songs do you perform tomorrow?" I asked, putting my hand on his thigh.

"Levels, Wedding Bells, A Little Bit Longer, Chains, Jealous, I Want You, Wilderness. Then I get to do some covers." I was happy for him. He genuinely loves what he does and it makes me smile to see how passionate he is about it.

"I'm excited for you sweetie."

--