«chapter seventeen: files»

Start from the beginning

I give them a smile, 'Still, thank you.'

  "Umm, Earth to... well everyone." Bart pokes me in the arm, causing us all to snap out of our conversation.

  Anddd we immediately notice that the whole team is still there and watching us.

  "You guys okay? Is something wrong?" Cassie asks, her eyebrows drawing together in concern.

  "We are all fine, thank you for asking." Kaldur states, trying to cover it up.

  "Where is Catgirl?" Bart asks looking around, "I haven't seen her in a while. Is she okay?"

Thanks Bart... thank you so much.

  I try to keep the sour look off of my face as I say, "She is fine, she had to do something."

  "What?" He asks, looking... worried? Why is he worried?

  "School stuff... why?" I question, realizing he might know something.

"No reason." He shrugs and speeds off.

  "... Okay," I say and dismiss the team, everyone turning at the same time and starting to leave, luckily, with no more questions.

__________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  I don't have to do much looking before I hear Batman's cape swish down behind me.

  "What is this about?" I turn and put my hands on my hips. Not that this is weird... but he made it sound very weird. Like Dick was babying me, and that I didn't even notice. But I did or I was starting to. Still I want to believe Dick wouldn't do that without telling me.

  Then again he was raised by the man dressed in a bat costume in front of me.

  "You are the only one qualified to do what I need done." He states, "It's also a good way to keep you out of trouble." He remarks, his voice still monotone so it's hard to know if that end was supposed to be a joke or not.

"How so?"

  "I will know where you are at all times." He takes off his cowl, switching from Batman to Bruce Wayne as he says,"...how are you holding up?"

  "I'm fine," I plainly state, crossing my arms over my chest. I don't need any babying from the Batman either.

  "I may not have known you has long as Selina, but within the time I have, you have dealt with a lot. More than most people would in a life time. I can tell you aren't fine." His eyes pierce mine and make me stay in my place.

  I sigh, "I am fine, stress comes with our jobs and our lives. And I was relaxed before I got your call, so really it's your fault," I smirk before dropping it, realizing he isn't going to fall for my jokes. "What do you need help with?" He doesn't seem worried, just the same way he always was. But his call makes me worried that something is going on.

  "Undercover work. I need you to sneak into a few places." He puts his cowl back on in a business manner, his face forever grime.

  I hesitate as think about the team, "What about the team?" Dick would want to know. But from how Bruce's tone was earlier, I can tell something is up. He isn't sending me on missions on purpose, and I don't think he is planning on sending me on any.