Of Spirits and Mortals [Part 3]

Start from the beginning

"Benjamin, where are you?" the voice called out once again in a thunder as a figure emerged out of the second story just as the servant halted and hung her head, then raised the tray to the woman behind the voice; she had light amber eyes and a hair full of red, but not as red as it should have been. She looked at the servant in front that was serving her, and noticed the smell of the brew, which infuriated her, making her backhand the tray and caused the kettle to pour all over the carpeted floor.

"F-forgive me, your grace," the servant stuttered in a nearly inaudible voice as she got on her knees and kept her head down, "I did not mean to-"

"Enough of your ramblings!" the master of the house thundered over the servant, who flinched at the sound of her voice, "I asked for tea and you brought me coffee?"

"I-I did not know w-what was i-in the b-brew, y-your grace," the servant responded with the same stutter and fear in her bones, "F-forgive me."

"Your incompetence has irked me for the last time, wench!" the master raised her voice as much as she raised her hand, ready to discipline her as she amber eyes glowed the colour of white – the colour of purity in blood – which the mother quickly noticed, "Learn your place in this house and serve me properly!"

"Stop!"

The master stopped midway of her slap and turned to the person who dared interrupt her, "You dare shout at me in my own home?"

"Yes, I do," the mother replied as she stood firm and kept her brown gaze at the master as though unafraid of her, "I will not stand idly by and watch you hurt your servants in front of my daughter."

The master examined them as she walked past her servant and said, "And who are you to come to my house at this time of night?" she threatened as the mother kept her stand and waited for her to arrive, giving her eyes that seemed unafraid of her, "Do you not know who I am?"

"You are the one they call 'the immortal one'," the mother replied as she stood still whilst the master of the house circled around her as though examining her from every direction, "The one they call the most powerful Non-Mortal."

The master stopped behind and bared her fangs, "Then you must know what I can do to you," she threatened as she got closer and closer, then gripped her by the neck and pulled the mother's head back to unveil her neck under her soaking cloak, "Yet you still dare raise your voice against me?"

"For the sake of my child's safety," the mother whispered as she felt the master's fangs graze her neck, but she did not flinch at the coldness of her teeth, "I will defy anything to keep her alive."

The master smelt the courage in her as she licked the mother's neck, at the vein that was tempting her to feast on, but her appetite diminished at the smell of her determination; it has been awhile since someone had the backbone to challenge her and it caught her interest – piqued her curiosity that someone out there was still brave enough to question her authority.

As the master contemplated on whether to devour her or not, the main door behind her creaked open and she noted the smell that irked her from earlier on; it soaked her right hand man all over, that made her pull away from the mother and look at him with near disgust. The man entered the house and removed his clothing, whilst he dropped the man he was carrying on his back; the mother exhaled calmly as she turned around and saw the man that was chasing her, was unconscious on the floor.

"What is this garbage, Benjamin?" the master inquired in a strict tone as she eyed the unconscious man with disgust.

Benjamin looked at the mother and replied, "It appears the reapers have hunted that lady until they arrive at our land, Lady Faris."