Day of Souls

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality." – Shirley Jackson

"Keep them up."

"They are up, old man."

"If I see you lower them even by a millimetre, I'll-"

"We get shot, we fall on the floor and you laugh at us," Katherine interrupted as kept walking the line as Scott trailed behind him; his shotgun aimed at their heads. Grunting slightly, Katherine made sure that Hailey was comfortable in her hold; she has yet to wake.

"Where are we going anyway?" Jesslyn questioned as she looked around the woods, aware that they were within the perimeter of the school. She knew the place well enough to know that they were in the vicinity of the institution. "How far away are we?"

Scott did not respond as they kept walking through the path in the forest; the sun was at the top as the grass crunched under their feet. The wind was silent as much as the critters that resided in that forest; not a single chirp graced the four of them.

The duo trudged begrudgingly through the forest without a single word from Scott; from time to time, he would remind Jesslyn to keep her hands up, whilst he threatened to shoot her if Katherine would attempt to gnaw him or run away.

Seconds, minutes, hours; the sun had begun to set whilst they kept walking. Thirst knocked Jesslyn's mind as her parched, dry lips endured the heat; they have been walking for six hours now through the forest, going down and sometimes up.

Both of them knew not where the old man was leading them, but Katherine was somewhat content since Hailey was still unconscious. Jesslyn and her were worried that she would not wake, but both of them were not given the time to properly examine her; a gun loaded with silver was already aimed at them the minute the sun touched their eyes.

As they descended the side of the mountain, Katherine slipped and fell on her bottom, almost dropping Hailey, but was lucky that her grip was firm. She sighed out loud as she looked at Scott as though asking him if they could take a break; they have been walking for hours now without a break for the loo or a sip of water.

"Your too wimpy to for a wolf," Scott scoffed as he aimed his shotgun at Jesslyn and used it to motion her to sit beside Katherine; Jesslyn did as he had instructed and sat next to Katherine, then carefully examined Hailey, who was still unconscious. "When will the tree hugger wake up?"

Jesslyn looked at him, "How do you know she's wolf and she's a faerie?"

"None of your business, hunter," Scott replied as he kept his aim at them.

Sceptic, Jesslyn furrowed her brows at him, unsure what he truly was. There was no sign that he was wolf or faerie, or any of the other Non-Mortals she has ever encountered; the usual signs were not on him, other than the deep shade of blue he had, but it was not truly uncommon among men. She took note of him and wondered if he was even human.

Looking up at the sky, Katherine could feel the moon's call as she heard soft whispers erupt behind her. She looked over her shoulder and saw the woman in the void, looking at her as though she was interesting with her lips in a line; Katherine knew not why she could see her there, beyond the veil of her mind.

"What are you looking at, wolf?" Katherine heard Scott as she veered her eyes at him, before she shook her head. Jesslyn sighed as she circled her shoulder; both her shoulders were tired from keeping them for six hours that they nearly felt numb.

Lowering his gun, Jesslyn watched Scott sit beside a tree as he kept his eyes on them as though he was certain that they would run. Why he kept them in his sight was a mystery to Jesslyn, but did not wish to ask; she knew that there were other things to worry about other than an old man's grudge – namely being fugitives.