Talking to The Moon

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." – Albert Camus

"Aren't you joining the others tonight?"

"I'm technically under protection, so I can't leave."

"Well, that's such a shame."

"I'm not really keen on violence, so it's fine."

Hailey smiled warmly at Itsuki, who volunteered to keep her company for the night; she was grateful since she felt the earth shook with anticipation when the moon spoke. It frightened her for a moment, but Itsuki managed to calm her down simply with her presence; she was not a big fan of being under the moon's gaze too much.

Looking out the window, Hailey examined the mountain that towered in the distance; she could see a strong yellow light. It was pale, but it was bright enough as it tore through the sky and kissed the moon; beautiful as though both worlds connected. She marvelled at the sight and wondered who could make such a power.

Surely, it's a mage.

Hailey answered her own thoughts as she let out a soft sigh and turned to her company; the human that sat in Jesslyn's couch had her eyes glued on a book that she was unfamiliar with. It had a girl looking at a phone, but her eyes were obscured as much as the cover was black and white with the title below the page.

There was a dim light in their room as Itsuki read; she was too engulfed in her book that she was not too worried about Jesslyn's work for the evening. She was passing the time whilst she waited for her candid performance later on; a smile crept on her lips just at the thought of it.

Perhaps I should sleep, Hailey suggested to herself as she walked away from the window; the howls and shrieks in the distance has begun. Partly, she was disappointed that she would not participate because of the danger that surrounded her; she even looked forward to it after she learned that the infamous Crimson Dragon would be the challenge master.

Fighting was not something she wanted, averse to it even, but if it meant she can unleash all of her powers for one night, then she would partake in it; not too much though. Looking down at her palm, she sat beside Itsuki and let out a soft sigh that the half-Japanese descent noticed.

"Want to talk about it?" Itsuki spoke softly without looking away from her book.

Hailey hummed, "What is there to talk about."

"Your capture, the man who tried to kill you," Itsuki suggested a few without retracting her eyes from the book, "Or, how about school? Homework? Boys? Girls?" she continued as she looked at her from the corner of her eyes, "Anything really."

Hailey leant back into the seat as she faced her, "Can we talk about Jesslyn and you?"

"What do you want to know?" Itsuki smiled as she closed her book as if to tell her she was listening, "Our story isn't exactly that exciting."

Hailey smirked, "Yeah, but you were included in Athena's endeavours, her trials from what I heard."

"And what exactly did you hear?" Itsuki raised a brow.

Hailey stared at her for a moment as she tried to find a good question to ask; there were a lot of things she wanted to ask her about Athena's ascension into Hybridity, but she was not truly interested in it. What she wanted answers for was how two humans managed to become friends with two powerful Non-Mortals.

"Have both you always been friends with Miss Thesalia and Miss Athena?" Hailey queried as she examined Itsuki's expression.

Itsuki nodded, "You should drop the Miss if you talk about them," she told her honestly which made the young teen raise a brow, "They hate having to hear honorifics from their friends."