Not Worth the Candle

"You will face your greatest opposition when you are closest to your biggest miracle." – Shannon L. Alder

"If I'd known this is what road trips felt like, I wouldn't have agreed to join."

"You're free to walk, but remember I know where you are."

"I doubt using that threat on the greatest escape artist in the country weighs anything."

"Try me, I dare you."

Eating silently, Katherine and Hailey watched the banter unfold; it was not truly uncommon for them to bicker like children over the course of three days. Art had been on Jesslyn's nerve for a few days now because of his unusually quirky, yet annoying personality; he was even forbidden to drink alcohol after that one night where he stumbled in their motel room naked with a stiff stick.

It popped Jesslyn's vein that very night which made her tie him up onto a chair for the whole night and even tied him taped his mouth shut. They drove through the interstate with him in the flatbed squirming like a fish, begging Jesslyn to let him go; at that time, it made them wonder if he truly was the greatest escape artist in the country.

"How far are we?" Katherine queried as she cleared her throat which put a stop to the duo's bickering. Jesslyn turned to her and noted the nearly distant look in her grey eyes that worried her as much as she could hear faint gossips about her two young friends.

Jesslyn took a sip of her water, "Just one last stretch, Kathie," she informed her, "It's the last stretch of our little road trip."

"Shame," Hailey mumbled, "I quite enjoyed it," she exhaled then smiled at Jesslyn, who seemed a little relieved of her response much contrary to Katherine's seemingly bitter face. "It was quite fun to see a little bit of the country and look at all the souvenirs we got."

Jesslyn smiled at them, "I'm glad you had fun, Hailey."

"I had fun too and still having quite the blast myself, thanks for asking," Art intruded in their conversation which earned him a glower from the brunette of an assassin next to him, where he replied with a wink; "I'll go take a dump, so we can leave."

Hailey's face cringed with disgust, "We did not need to know that."

"I'm going too," Katherine announced which caught Jesslyn and Hailey's attention. The silver haired teen stood up silently, then cleaned the table; she stacked the plates in order as much as scraped the left overs into one plate before she walked out of the diner they were in.

The fresh autumn air greeted her as she made her way towards the truck, then leant against the hood of the truck; her mind was travelling farther than she was. Trees nearly covered the diner as much as dirt path was next to it with a mouldy sign leading to the beach; she looked up at the sign on the diner, reading its name 'Sea Shells by the Sea Shore' and wondered if they were truly near one.

Will you be able to kill her?

Vivian's words walked into her thoughts as she took a deep breath and sighed; her fists balled tightly as though aching to punch somebody. Standing there, her mind wondered about the possibility of Hailey being the key, but she could not say for sure if she could be; so far, none of them knew what kind of taboo must be committed to be one target for the key.

Even she could not determine what kind of horrible taboo she committed for her to be a target of these renegade, body-stealing souls; she has wracked her brain for possible answers but none seem to come to mind. It has boggled her to the point of asking Vivian if she had committed taboo after the previous full moon; the former countess merely denied anything.