Of Spirits and Mortals [Part 2]

"No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories." – Haruki Murakami

Soft breeze, warm wind; the afternoon blow was mild. There was a fragrance in the air that soothed her senses; her nose took a waff of its mild scent. Soft whispers mumbled in the distance as much as curiosity roamed the afternoon air; the sun had just gotten off its high throne.

Slowly, her eyelids rose to greet the world, finding herself in a very unfamiliar setting. Her mind was a blur, nearly forming incoherent words to explain what she felt; her eyes scoured her surroundings, looking for her two companions. Realising their lack of presence, she bolted up in a panic as her eyes panned from left to right as her heartbeat pulsated uncontrollably.

I need to get them! She reminded herself as she swung her legs off the comfortable bed she was in, then looked down on her clothing and found herself wearing a drab of what seemed like a very old night gown; it almost looked like a potato sack to her if not for the fancy linen.

"What am I wearing?" she nearly shouted, but dismissed her thoughts as she looked for the door; seeing double doors, she paced towards it and gripped both handles to pull it open. Frantic, she rushed out of the room and found herself bumping into someone, who held her by the shoulders before she could even fall; her eyes wandered up to meet the person in front of her. "Cecil?"

Cecilia smiled at her, "Calm down, Shepard," she soothed as Hailey looked at her and realised what happened; the young fae's eyes watered immediately and hugged her as she softly sobbed. She patted her head and pulled her close, trying to soothe her as she whispered; "There, there. Don't cry."

"I'm sorry," Hailey sobbed on her chest as Cecilia tried not to break down as well, "I'm sorry, Cecil."

Cecilia tried to calm her down, "Hey, hey, just calm down," she pulled back and saw her hung her head in regret, "What's wrong?" she told her as she held her hand and led her down the long hallway of the mansion they were in. "Just take deep breaths to calm yourself, Hailey."

The young fae managed to nod as she tried her best not to dwell on what she experienced; there was enormous regret her chest at both Jesslyn and Katherine. Her chest swelled with apprehension with each step she took, unable to face the world of its serenity; her mind was convoluted with thoughts of the two people she left behind in the other world.

One of them yet live, whilst the other, she was uncertain. The thought of Jesslyn being dead sent her heart in anxiety; there was a need inside her to go back and get both of them back. Zander has not shown himself to her as well, he would often be the first person she would talk to when she wake, but recently he has been giving her so much space; she appreciated it, but at that moment, she wanted him to be there and tell her what to do.

Can she even do anything?

Right now, the energies of both realms are swirling as she felt the ground shake ever so slightly that Cecilia offered a small smile that told her not to mind it; even when the earth shakes, she can feel her own body slowly crumbling inside at the thought of the duo's disappearance. Her mind cannot fathom the uncertainty of their condition that was slowly driving her mad.

The silence became a nuisance to Cecilia, making her look at the young teen next to her; forlorn was evident in her listless eyes – regret seemed to have engulf her soul. The dark amber eyes she once saw full of life was slowly cracking in front of her, turning into a lifeless, dull grey; it was as if the whole world had shattered in front of her.

"Shepard, try not to think about it too much," Cecilia spoke with concern in her voice, "Whatever it is you think you did, I'm sure there's something you can do to make it right."