Lies in Her eyes

"Reports of multiple tremors all over the world has resurfaced, resulting in an increasing amount of people injured..."

Pressing the remote, the television turned off as she removed the towel from her wet hair; she looked indifferently at the black face of the old television in the room, past its frame and into her reflection. The scars on her body stood out as she stood there in nothing but her lingerie and short shorts, looking at herself, wondering what she was even doing.

Closing her eyes for a moment, she looked away and approached the balcony door, then slid it open; the warm breeze of the night air greeted her as she walked out onto the wooden floors. She dumped the towel on the chair as she approached the wooden ledge then peered out into the open town; there were sirens in the distance, ambulance from the way it wailed hastily to make way for it.

The town beneath her cried with the sirens as the nightlife boomed awake in the town's streets, almost shaking the world awake. She closed glass door behind her shut as she took a deep breath, then closed her eyes for a minute to compose herself before turning around to face the man she did not wish to see at the moment of her failure.

"I was expecting you to be down there, Alexis," he spoke in a manner of disappointment as she stood silent and kept her eyes away from him, hanging her head as she felt unworthy of his gaze; she could hear his footsteps come closer as she clenched her fist and braced herself for the inevitable ring in her ears. "Yet here I find you, lounging around in an apartment half-naked for the town to see."

In the blink of an eye, a stinging pain landed on Alexis's cheek as much as the ringing in her ear came; another sting landed on her other cheek as she kept her head hung low, unable to raise her head and fight back, aware that she would not be able to. Despite how she was – being the most promising assassin of her youth – she was still just a thirteen year old girl, who – like everyone her age does – still respect those older than her; it was a trait instilled in them in training and she was sure to get it right.

"You are a disgrace!" he raised his voice as light glimmered on the dark shade of his goggles, "You dare call yourself my child? A child of my band of elite assassins?"

"Father, I-"

"Silence!" his voice thundered above hers as he landed another backhand to her cheek, making her look away at the force he put into it. A red gash came upon Alexis that made her touch it, but did not show any faint sign of hurt; her eyes dawned an indifferent hue from her hazel eyes as she slowly raised her gaze to face him. There was anger in his eyes – a fire of fury – that rage through the thick lenses.

"I want you to get down there," he commanded as he drew a knife from his coat in a flash then grabbed her by the neck and pulled her to him forcefully, making her look into his eyes as she hung several feet above the air; he inched the sharp end of his knife against her cheek as a lone bead of blood oozed out without her flinching as he threatened her; "And finish your job."

Dropping her, the knife scraped up to her temple and created a long wound that bled as he towered over her. Alexis did not speak and merely nodded her head as she hung it, unable to face him for if she did, she knew that she would face him with the same anger written all over his face – something she did not wish to have.

Huffing out of his nose, Alexis's father left as she sat there and held her cheek; the long wound on her cheek made her grit her teeth as anger gradually rose within her. Damn this! she cursed as she clenched her fist, trying not to breakdown; her chest heaved in air to calm the anxiety in her heart.

Standing up, she picked up the towel on the chair as she wiped the blood that escaped her open wound, then placed pressure on it as she walked inside the room; she sat on the bed and waited for the blood to stop flowing out. Taking her phone, her eyes once again looked at her reflection on the black face of the television and found her eyes empty – devoid of any feelings of pain.