At the End of a Long Escape

Soaring through the sky, she duck and dove every incoming spirit that had the hunger to kill her; not a single spirit got close to her as her azure flame armour burned anyone that got close to her. She flew along the edges of the barrier, trying to get every single one of her enemies away from it, then mend the broken barrier even by a little in hopes of prolonging the time Athena needed.

Chanting on her right hand, two swords manifested into front of her; she wielded them on each hand as she flew around the edges of the barrier that was far away from the pillar of light – the source of all their foes. From a distance, Cecilia could see Athena even though physically she could not; the sea of ectoplasm growing from the path she threaded on was flowing outward, towards the barrier which told her that it was her. Athena was the only one she knew who could do that at a time like this; after all, she was the one who cleaned up her mess at Edinburgh three years ago.

"Athena what are you waiting for?" Cecilia clicked her tongue as she sliced through everyone on her path as much as burned them all as she approached; unlike the lake of ectoplasm forming, her fire burned them to crisp that nothing else was left of them – not even ashes to know if they were even there.

Zooming through the horde of winged skeletal figures, she dispatched them in single slices as she made her way back to the pit that looked like it was in trouble. Without a second thought, she floated up to the sky and with one hand, she uttered a few words that lit up a chant in her hand; three miniscule balls of azure fire formed in front of her. She looked at the pit and saw how much they were in dire need of assistance and aimed carefully before she used her sword to bat the balls into its direction.

The miniscule balls she shot grew as their speed increased, before they merged into one humongous ball that collided with Ford's location; everything was decimated from the blast that left her friend and his men some room to breathe. Chanting, she vanished from her current position and emerged in front of Ford, who was surprised to see her for a moment, but turned to his men and saw how worn out they were from the battle.

"Are you alright?" Cecilia queried as she noticed the way Ford's armed quivered from the way he held his rifle too tight. She can tell from the look on his eye that everything was not going their way, but asked otherwise; there were men scattered around her – bodies of men and women who have died to protect the students of the Institution that were hiding behind their protection.

"We're trying to manage," Ford responded with a small smile that Cecilia knew was a lie; she knew that he was covering his feelings very well for his men to not lose hope, "We're completely outnumbered here," he confessed as Cecilia looked around and noted how tired the rest were, "We may not be able to keep this up even longer."

I know... even I do not know if I can... I am exhausted too...

"Athena and I are trying our best to make sure they don't break the barrier," Cecilia informed him as she turned to the skies and saw how the thin veil was covered in cracks, but not a single hole had opened; she does not know for how long she can defend the barrier, for even she was tired, but kept on fighting. If only she had the power she once had, then this would have been a child's play, but she was no longer who she once was, "We need to close the gate soon, else there would be no tomorrow."

"That won't happen," Ford stepped in as he placed a hand on her shoulder, then smiled even further as they met eye to eye; it gave Cecilia a little bit of hope as Ford gave her a reassuring smile. "You're the infamous Crimson Dragon, aren't you?"

I guess I still am, aren't I? she thought as she smirked and found herself energised at the memories of her infamy – at the times were she was revered as the greatest amongst all mages. That person never really left, it was still her after all; she just do not know if her age could still follow how her mind flows, at how fast she could chant spells when she was at least five years younger than her current age.