My first...

"So you two were really hiking together?" Braxton asked crossing his arms over his chest as he glanced between his brother and his best friend.

"Hard to believe, I know." Ashton replied.

"Did you guys have fun?" Braxton asked cautiously as if by asking the question the two would start yelling at each other.

"It was...interesting." Luke answered.

"I wouldn't describe anything with him around as fun." Ashton also answered.

"And here I thought you two were becoming friends." Braxton sighed.

"Brax, I told you, don't hold your breath. We managed to tolerate each other for a day be happy with that." Luke shook his head.

"It's a start at least." Calum said patting Braxton on the back encouragingly.

"I'll take what I can get." Braxton sighed.

"Oh you two are back." Liam said suddenly appearing behind Luke and Ashton. He was dressed awfully nice.

"Dressed for your date I see." Luke said his eyes skirting Liam.

"Y-yeah." Liam said his eyes studying Luke.

Luke faked a smile.

"Zayn will be pleased I'm sure." 

Liam frowned slightly.

"Why are you doing this?" Liam asked suddenly.

"Doing what?" Luke frowned.

"Liam." Braxton said in a warning tone.

"No, we need to talk about this." Liam snapped.

"Liam I dont' think-" 

"He's right, they need closure." Michael chimed in.

"Can we talk in private please?" Liam asked looking at Luke.

"No." Braxton said suddenly.

"I'll go with them and make sure they don't kill each other." Ashton said pointing Luke and Liam towards he and Luke's room.

Braxton must have been okay with that because he didn't say anything else.

"What's going on?" Luke frowned looking at Liam.

"You acting like you don't care that I'm going out with Zayn." Liam huffed.

"I don't care." Luke lied.

"How can you not?" Liam snapped. It hurt to think that Luke didn't care about him.

"Why would I?" Luke frowned. Why was Liam asking him this?

"You were my first kiss, my first..." He trailed off glancing at a tense looking Ashton.

"My first experience with a guy." Liam finished.

"And I'm happy I was." Luke smiled but the smile didn't reach his eyes.

"You mean to tell me you didn't develop any feelings towards me after all that?" Liam asked.

"No, we said friends with benefits."  Luke answered vaguely.

Liam stayed silent for a moment. Luke had just admitted he didn't have feelings for Liam and it hurt.

"Okay, well, then I have a date with Zayn." Liam shifted uncomfortably.

"Are you okay?" Luke frowned.

"Yeah, just wanted to make sure you didn't have any hard feelings about me and Zayn." Liam lied.

It was Luke's turn to lie.

"Not at all." Luke smiled the best fake smile he could muster.

"Good, then I better go." Liam nodded also faking a smile.

"Have fun." Luke waved as Liam slipped out of the door.

Luke dropped onto the bed obviously hurt by the conversation he had just had with Liam.

Ashton bit his lip. He hated to see Luke so upset. Luke was rarely upset. He knew how long he'd had feelings for Liam and while he'd hated the fact with a passion he still hated to see Luke hurt.

"Ar-are you okay?" Ashton asked awkwardly taking a seat next to Luke.

"I'm fine." Luke nodded.

"You don't have to lie, I know how you feel about Liam." Ashton reminded Luke.

"And I know how much you hate that I do; and just me in general, so forgive me if I'm not quick to confide in you."

"Look, today was a big step for us, was it not?" Ashton asked.

"You got stuck with me for the day, I wouldn't call that a big step for us." Luke rolled his eyes.

"Well I would. Look, I told you I know how you feel. I do feel bad that you are going through this. You'll get over him, I know you will. It'll take some time but-"

"But in the meantime I get to watch him and Zayn hang all over each other." Luke snapped cutting in.

Ashton grit his teeth. His natural instinct was to snap back but he refrained. Luke was only lashing out because he was hurt and he didn't trust Ashton. Somehow that didn't comfort Ashton any.

"Look, I know we're not friends but I know how it feels and it sucks. If you need someone to talk to, we are stuck rooming together." Ashton said standing.

Luke looked up and opened his mouth as if he was about to say something but he only closed it again and dropped his head to his chest.

Ashton walked to the door when he heard Luke say quietly.

"Thanks."  

*AN*
Hey guys, so sorry I didn't update sooner. I wrote most of a chapter and it disappeared! Ugh, I was furious! So I had to rewrite it...anyway, enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American readers! 😘