A break from everything

Ashton got a weird feeling in the pit of his stomach as Luke took his hand.

"Where are we going?" Luke asked curiously.

"Somewhere to distract you from Liam." Ashton answered.

Luke didn't pry, instead he followed Ashton silently.

After a few minutes they arrived at a stand with tons of different brochures.

"Hello, how may I help you?" A guy asked greeting the two of them.

"We'd like a map to Wailua falls." Ashton answered.

"Here you go." The guy handed Ashton a map as Ashton handed the guy a couple dollars.

"Okay, this shouldn't be too far." Ashton spoke studying the map.

"Have you been already? You knew the name and everything." Luke asked.

"No, I did some research before hand. I figured I'd need a break from everything at some point." Ashton explained.

"You want me to go with you?" Luke raised a curious brow.

"I think you need a break from everything." Ashton shrugged as they approached gate.

"Hello, are you two interested in hiking to Wailua falls?" A tall brunette asked.

"Yeah." Ashton answered.

"Sign here." The brunette spoke handing Ashton a clipboard.

Once the two had signed in and were started down the path Luke decided to ask Ashton a question he'd been curious about.

"How long have you known about my feelings for Liam?"

Ashton tensed at the question. He'd known for a long time.

"A while." Ashton shrugged.

"A few days, weeks?" Luke pressed.

"A few years." Ashton answered.

"Years?" Luke asked shocked.

"Why hadn't you mentioned it before now?" Luke frowned.

"Cause Liam didn't show interest before now." Ashton replied.

"He hasn't shown interest now." Luke said sadly.

"Not true. You two were hooking up, he called you baby." Ashton snapped.

"Is that why you don't like me, cause I had a thing for Liam?" Luke asked curiously.

"No." Ashton answered simply.

"I don't suppose you're going to tell me why are you?" Luke asked biting his lip.

"You don't want to hear why." Ashton spoke curtly.

"If you hate me so much why are you taking me hiking with you?" Luke pressed. He wanted answers.

"Because I feel bad about Liam and Zayn. I can see how much it hurts you and I hate to see you-" Ashton cut himself off.

"I know what that feels like." Ashton finished.

Luke stayed silent.

The two walked in silence for a while. Ashton would glance at Luke to see a frown covering his usually cheerful features. Ashton wanted to pull Luke into a hug and tell him it was going to be okay.

"Are- are you okay?" Ashton asked.

"I will be." Luke nodded looking at Ashton. He gave a small smile but it didn't reach his eyes.