Chapter 70: Gigi

"Cale. Who are you?"

I see Maya sitting up in her bed, Cale's eyes wide with pure shock and I follow suit as I see her. After I process the words she's just uttered, I just look at Cale, his face sunken and yet so utterly horrified.

"Maya... What do you mean...? Surely you remember us?"

"Gigi!" She yells in a childish voice, her arms outstretched and I walk to her and she grabs hold on my waist, pulling me close for a hug.

My heart feels a slight tug as she hugs my stomach tightly but I turn to look at Cale, a pitiful and saddened look on my face.

Does she not remember him?

"Maya?" I ask, pulling away as I place my hands on her shoulders, squatting down. "Do you seriously not remember Cale?"

She looks at me with her brown doe eyes, a different kind of spark in them. Different. That minute detail bothered me. Maya always felt the same. She was the one thing that didn't change when I did. My rock, my anchor, the one to hold me in place, the one always waiting for me to come back to her with a welcoming smile on her face. No... This Maya was different. It's like she was 12 and not a proper 16 year old.

She turns to look at Cale, her face telling me she's truly searching for his identity yet she still seems to remain clueless.

"Who are you?" She repeats once again, her gaze different once again; not childish, nor the typical Maya, but rather, dark and somber, yet withholding a trace of sadness. "Who are you?"

For a moment, just a slight moment, I see a flicker in her eyes, a flicker of many emotions that didn't seem to belong to her; sadness, grief, love and passion.