Chapter 20: Cale

I open the door to my usual resting spot; it's always underneath that tree near the entrance of the school or this empty classroom. That's when I spot Maya's curled up body at the end of the room.

I frown. Is she sleeping? Lately she seems to be busy. She never comes to pester me anymore. Instead, she has this sad or disappointed expression on her face when she looks at me. It bothered me for a while but I thought I should give her space. Yet, seeing her like this, in a ball in a corner of my classroom, light falling over her silver hair and shoulders, she looks like a fallen angel.

I walk towards her but she doesn't budge. Maybe she is sleeping.

"Maya?" I ask once.

No reply.

I squat in front of her.

"Maya, wake up." I try once again, lightly shaking her shoulder.

"I'm awake Cale. Go away." She replies her voice heavy.

I could recognize that tone anywhere; she's been crying.

I frown. Did I do something?

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Is it any of your business?"

I frown harder.

"You're the one that came into my life and made me care about someone other than myself, so yes, it is my business!" I reply getting angry.

She looks up, her eyes wide with surprise. Her face is moist with tears that have streamed down her eyes but instead of leaving them red and swollen it makes them brighter.

Then suddenly her face distorts to become an angry one.

"You care? My ass! You care about nothing but yourself! You never make any effort to understand me or realize how what you do affects me! All you do is misinterpret everything to your own liking and decide to make decisions on your own, not caring whether I am informed of that or not! So I'm sorry but I don't think that qualifies as you caring!" She yells at me, her tears starting to resurface and flow down her cheeks, to then regroup at her chin and fall onto her knees.

"It's true. I'm selfish. I'm an asshole. An idiot. But that doesn't mean I don't care and when you say all that it hurts."

"You hurt me first." She mumbles lowly, probably talking to herself, but I hear it anyways.

"If you don't communicate, I can't guess things! You said it yourself, all I do is misinterpret things, so tell me that way it's clear." I say as I look into her brown eyes, all my attention and focus on her.

"You don't understand, that's how I am! I keep quiet about my feelings so that I don't burden anybody with them..."

She looks down in defeat and then she remains silent.

"Then don't complain about the things I don't do if you're exactly the same."

She opens her mouth to say something then closes it again. I get up from my squatting position to get up and leave.

"Idiot." She whispers to me.