Chapter 7: Maya

Edited

There's an awkward silence. I brush some of my silver hair behind my ear. It's starting to get longer. They're at about my shoulders. My hair always grows fast...

"You scare me." Cale just states, waking me up from my thoughts. "You're the first girl that has ever been so dedicated to finding me out. That scares me."

"Don't make me out to be some crazy stalker." I reply with a little fun.

"When do you ever let loose?" He asks changing the topic completely. "Like when do you relax?"

I pause to look at him. It's not that I don't know my answer, I already have it ready to say out loud, but the peculiar question is what sets me aback. I choose to cooperate with his odd questions and statements for now and see how things go along.

"At school."

"School?"

"Yea. You?"

"Nowhere. Maybe just here, away from everything else. Neutral territory."

Is something stressing him at home? At school I can just guess he means women in general but he may also be referring to football practice. Must be lonely to not be able to truly rely on anyone, because in order to relax I think you have to be around someone that you trust... Someone who has your back... For me that's Gigi, and although Cale has tons of friends at school he doesn't relax around them, meaning he only relaxes alone...

"Well, I hope I can help you as much as I possible can!" I say putting a broad smile on my face, trying to lighten the mood the good old method. I want to be the first to know the things that he can't tell anyone else. The first person he trusts enough to say he is relaxed next to.

"You can't help me. Nobody can. You should go home." He says his voice bland and yet annoyed.

"Hmm... Doesn't sound good." I say looking down at my wrist-watch.

I don't want to go home, not yet, not now. I don't want to see Mother and have to deal with her anger management issues, especially since I snuck out to go to this party. If I come home now, she'll either be out if I'm lucky or she'll be home drinking and I'll be in big trouble. I have to be home after midnight if I don't want to be caught. She never checks on me and goes to bed around midnight. Once she's asleep or sleepwalking around her room, I'm safe to go in.

"For the class president, that's very daring. Shouldn't you be a more conservative role-model? Staying out late and wearing a tight-fitting outfit, kinda contradictory no? Especially for a virgin."

My cheeks flush red immediately. What makes him say I'm a virgin!? And how would he know?!

"First of all, that was very rude. But, how did you-"

"Well it's all over your face and the way you act." He cuts me and I turn away in annoyance. This guy and his never-ending ego.

"And you're not? You act revolted around every girl!" I snap back at him.

His gaze becomes hard as if remembering something and he looks away. As he turns back to look at me, his eyes are still penetrating like daggers, he props one elbow on his knee and leans on his hand.

"I'm not." He replies, his voice smooth and his face so unmoving and still that you can't look away.

That's when I first see something in those blue eyes of his, with colours spurting from all corners, a tinge of loneliness. I stare at him in awe of his presence and expressions, they simply catch me off guard. Was it an ex-girlfriend which brought out his distaste for women?