Chapter 36: Maya

I look ahead at my mother and nearly stepdad walking together, dragging me to another wedding event.

"Ah! Maya!" My mom says remembering something so therefore turning to talk to me.

She always needs excuses or a reason in order to talk to me.

I'd wish she'd just leave me alone once and for all. I'd rather be with Darren at this point. Anyways, it's not like she cares about me. She made that very obvious for the last few years she spent with us. Darren was always the loved child and now I know why; she can't possibly be mad at the child that was never hers to begin with. Instead, she just put all her pressures and expectations on me because I am her child. I'd rather not be.

"Today we're going to pick out wedding accessories and all those things. You're coming. Dress well and keep a good face on. If you do that, I'll give you money and you can have Gigi sleep over tonight."

Bribing, huh?

"Sure." I mutter in a monotone.

Mind your own business.

I can't stand her right now. She always does these sorts of things. It's annoying. I want the her back when daddy was here. Back when she didn't care about image, faking or drinking. Back when she cared about me.

I look down at my feet as I walk after them into a huge store who organizes the party items at weddings.

As I wait for my mother to choose a theme for her wedding I just look down at my phone, texting Gigi how boring it is here and how desperately I want a way out.

"Mary!" I hear from behind me and for a hopeful second, just a mere second, I believe it's my father, before I turn and realize it's Harvey and my smile immediately falters to become a rather emotionless face.

"Oh, Harvey! Glad you finally made it!" My mother says turning to him with a huge grin on her face.

Is she for real?

I find myself only getting angrier and angrier.

Why the hell does she reserve such a happy face towards Harvey and all she can do towards me is try to maintain her scowl?

I tighten my fists. She's annoying me so much. Then she gives me a glare and I know that's the end of my battle. No point getting angry over it anymore. Now I just need to accept it.

"Keep a smile on like you do at school, it suits you so much better." Harvey whispers in my ear, and my hand loosens in defeat and confusion.

How would he know that?

---

Hey guys!

Shit is officially about to get real. I have completely planned out the next couple of chapters and I hope you will be happy to find out what happens.

What do you think of Harvey so far?

Okay but like Harvey is going to be vital hehe.