Author's Note

F L I C K E R

flicker (noun): a situation in which a light is sometimes bright and sometimes weak:
the soft flicker of candlelight

~~~

S U M M A R Y

Cale doesn't trust women or want to be around them. He only permits himself to view them as burdens and never commits to anyone or anything.

Maya has always been the cheerful, carefree type. After her meeting with Cale, she is persuaded to figure him out as if he were a puzzle piece. Cale takes an immediate dislike to her constant smiles and excessive happiness and resents her for it. But after finding out himself pieces of her life does he still hate her as much as he's sworn he has?

~~~

D E D I C A T I O N

to those who hide their toughest times behind a smile, you are not alone.

~~~

A U T H O R ' S  N O T E

Welcome to Flicker! Thank you for opening this story and reading it! Hopefully you will enjoy this story as much as I do or perhaps more!

Remember to give a vote if you like the chapter and comment your thoughts and inputs! It really helps me as an author!

I just wanted to say that the first chapter or so is a bit slow because I really want you to get to know the main character, Maya, and where she comes from. Later on in the book you get Cale's point of view and many things become much clearer.

Future Natalia here as well! I wrote this book a while back when I was 14-15 at the time and tried to improve it a bit as I got older so some themes lack the sensitivity that I would care to focus on today (August 2023). Either way I hope you enjoy this rollercoaster!

Enjoy reading!

- Natalia

~~~

S T A T U S : finished
S T A R T E D : July 13th 2016
F I N I S H E D: November 22nd 2016

~~~

E X T R A C T

"You care? My ass! You care about nothing but yourself! You never make any effort to understand me or realize how what you do affects me! All you do is misinterpret everything to your own liking and decide to make decisions on your own, not caring whether I am informed of that or not! So I'm sorry but I don't think that qualifies as you caring!" She yells at me, her tears starting to resurface and flow down her cheeks, to then regroup at her chin and fall onto her knees.

"It's true. I'm selfish. I'm an asshole. An idiot. But that doesn't mean I don't care and when you say all that it hurts."

"You hurt me first." She mumbles lowly, probably talking to herself, but I hear it.

"If you don't communicate I can't guess things! You said it yourself, all I do is misinterpret things, so tell me that way it's clear." I say as I look into her brown eyes, all my attention and focus on her.

She looks down in defeat as she remains silent.

"Don't complain about the things I don't do if you're exactly the same."

She opens her mouth to say something then closes it again. I get up from my squatting position to get up and leave.

~~~

TRIGGER WARNING! SOME THEMES CONTAIN ABUSE/SEXUAL ASSAULT! PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF THAT AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! ❤️