Chapter 29: Maya

"Maya? You alright?" Gigi asks as she stares at me, her blue eyes scintillating.

"Hmmm..." Is all I reply.

I feel a little light-headed and dizzy, probably from all the thinking I did last night. I ended ip staying awake as tears would cloud my eyes were couple or so minutes, leaving them red and swollen and my face a little puffy. Keeping my eyes open proves to be a struggle and focusing is nearly impossible. Hearing and sight is blurred and I feel so terribly weak.

I turn to look at Gigi because I think she says something again and right now my senses aren't quite working.

"Did you say something?" I ask.

"Maya, I didn't say anything, you should really go to the nurse. You're worrying me. You look awful and tired, go rest. There's no point of you being in class, you won't be able to pay attention. I'll bring you there now and you don't have an option." She says seriously, getting up from her chair and gently pulling me by my arm to help me up.

She loops her arm through mine and directs me towards the nurse's office. Everything around me is very vague and feels so distant and unfamiliar so I'm glad for her presence.

She does all the talking as I go lay down on a bed and within minutes I'm asleep.

---

I wake up, a gentle breeze caressing the skin of my face and I take in a moment to fully wake up mentally before straining to open my eyes. The light is very bright but I quickly adjust to it, blinking away the feeling.

"Is she okay?" I hear and I can immediately deduce that it's Cale's voice.

"She's fine, just had a little trouble sleeping last night." Ms. Fall, the nurse, replies.

"I see..."

In that moment I can almost picture the sadness in his eyes as he says it but reevaluate that theory as soon as I remind myself what kind of person Cale is.

"Have you found any universities that fit your criteria yet?" She asks him, her tone hopeful and encouraging.

"Uh... Yea a few. But I'm still deciding whether I want to go really far or closer to home because I know it'll be hard on Jack. But yea, I just wanted to check up on Maya, she hasn't been here all day so... I got a little worried."

My eyes widen in surprise and utter shock and my cheeks start to flush.

"Ok! Well i'll be on my way to go get tea, you can stay a little if you want."

"Ok." He replies and I see him smiling in my head. If only he would smile to me more often.

Then his footsteps come nearer and before I can move and pretend I'm sleeping I am faced with Cale's head poking out of the curtain while I'm still flushed in surprise. He examines my face for a second of silence.

"Oh, you're awake? You better now?"

I turn around quickly frowning in embarrassed, he just saw me like that.

"Y-Yea." I stammer, a thousand thoughts going through my mind.

Did he really say that? Was Cale really worried about me? Or was it just a thing he said to Ms. Fall? My flush slowly fades the more I think about how he probably didn't mean it. Minds are detrimental after all.

"Cale," I start, my face now serious again. "Why do you hate women so much?"

He stares at me for about 5 seconds, his gaze unfazed, but I can tell the question bothers him. I also really want to understand him fully, more than Ms. Fall, more than Daisy, more than anyone else. I want to be the only one who knows the full story, the only one he wants to open to, the only one he can trust.

Is that selfish?

He laughs it off, rubbing the back of his head.

"I don't think it's really necessary, it's just a concept I grew up with." He says still somewhat smiling, but that's the catch, Cale never smiles so I know something is off.

He's lying.

I give him a sympathetic smile.

"I'm sorry. I understand you might not want to talk about it now or with me, but please when you are ready do tell me, because I really do care about you and I want truly to truly understand you!" I say giving him a more genuine and happy smile although I could feel the tears in my eyes start up.

I guess I thought I was more important to him than I actually was.

He stares at me as his lips slightly part but I break our locked gaze to look at my hands. I don't want him to see me cry again.

"Thanks Maya. That means a lot." He finally utters and I find my head shooting up to look at him as his eyes are serious, before he turns to leave.

---

Hey guys!

So... Omg! She just made him flabbergasted! Like whaat! And she also happened to overhear that super cute conversation! I'm actually so happy even though I created it myself but lol doesn't really feel like it.

Anyways what do you think?

Are you shipping them yet?