Chapter 3: Maya

Edited

I flutter my eyes open and lay them upon the mixture of blues and green. An ocean of colors. The boy before me looks familiar and at first I don't recognize him but then I realize it's Cale. His body is squatting beside me and his face close-up is even more intriguing that I feel a little awkward being so close to it.

"Oh... Sorry..." I say before yawning and bringing up a hand to cover my mouth. "My brother plays so I waited for him... And I guess I fell asleep. Thanks for waking me up."

"No problem." He mumbles in a rather monotone voice as he starts to get up. "Who's your brother?"

"Darren."

"He already left." He replies bluntly.

"What? No... That annoying asshole!" I exclaim angrily as I try to come up internally with explanations.

I get up in a start, but feel my legs giving in. How long was I asleep? I stumble and decide to support myself against the wall but before I make it there, Cale's arms are supporting me.

"Thanks..." I mumble again. I don't like not being able to be in full control of myself. I glance at my watch. 5:40.

"It's so late!" I burst out in shock.

Now fully awake, I hurry out to leave. Then I turn around again.

"Thanks again!" I say turning around with a broad smile on my face.

As he sees my smile his jaw slightly clenches in contempt. My smile fades slowly as I turn back around confused but I don't think about it for too long. I just hurry back as fast as I can.

I don't wait around for him for no reason! Now I don't have a ride anymore and I have a project to do too!

That fricking Darren! I'll protect you, bullshit! My fucking ass you'll protect me. I walk fast and angrily towards the house. It's not that close either! It'll take me at least half an hour to get home.

I hurry out to school and start speed-walking home. The night air is frisk and merciless and I start to feel chills cover my body. I hug my chest as I pick up the pace, hoping to warm myself up in the process. I notice a car slow down next to me and I ignore it at first convinced that the pervert will continue along but he doesn't, I glance at the driver and notice it's Cale.

"Guy from before?"

"It's late, I'll give you a ride home."

"I don't know you."

"Do I look like a rapist?"

"I don't know, people wouldn't get raped if rapists look like they were rapists."

"Never mind that. What kind of person would I be if I left a minor walk alone at night?" He asks his voice still rather monotone and bored.

"You say it like you're not a minor yourself."

What do girls see in him? His looks and that's it? Is that the only reason girls have to like somebody?

I stay silent and stare blankly at him.

"Whatever, you could either walk alone in the dark where you could easily be taken or come into the car with me where I'll drop you off."

I hear Gigi's words ring in my head again about how he's rejected every girl and their offers. He couldn't possibly want me when better-looking girls are asking for sex and he brushes them off.

I come to a stop as I finally have my conclusion.

"Fine! I'll let you take me home but that doesn't mean I believe I would be vulnerable out on the streets without you. I just need to get home quickly and finish the report." I declare in slight annoyance that once again I have to rely on this guy. This guy with that look of constant disgust.

I go around the front of the car and climb in the passenger seat, carefully closing the door afterwards. He's rich himself judging by the car he drives in.

"So where are we going?" He asks.

"23 Agers street." I tell him.

He nods and starts driving towards there.

"Umm... What's your name?" I ask trying to not be that awkward person who knows the other's name when we never met.

"Cale." He replies keeping his eyes focused on the road. "You?"

"Maya."

"Maya Thompson, the girl I beat in the maths test?" He states more than asking, trying to prove a well defined point. I glare at him as he smirks proudly. I would've been fine with him beating me if he hadn't given me that irritating grin of his. It's like he's trying to say 'I'm better' and shove it in my face.

"Yes." I mutter through gritted teeth.

"Cool." He replies innocently.

We arrive at a street a few blocks away from my house at the gas station. It's far enough so we're not in the rich residential zone yet but close enough that I'm comfortable getting there quickly. It's the usual place I ask people to drop me off since I don't want them seeing my big house and judging me once again for my money. It would just become a reenactment of middle school and that was horrible enough.

I get out then lean down to his window.

"Thanks for the ride!" I say smiling kindly.

"Your welcome. By the way, you live here?"

"No, I wanted to stop to buy myself a snack." I reply awkwardly pointing at the gas station a few meters ahead.

"I can drop you off the whole way you know."

"I'm fine. Thanks though." I give him a kind smile but instead his face hardens slightly.

"No problem." He says with his still rather emotionless face.

As he drives off I'm left debating what all the reasons could be for that weird reaction. What a weird enigma I am faced with and this time I can't simply solve it.

~~~

Hey guys! So what do you think of Cale? What are your views on him and his personality? How about Maya? Do you see her differently or no?

Song: Billie Eilish - Ocean Eyes