Chapter 42: Maya

As we sit at the dinner table, all I can focus on is how attentive my mother is being towards me. She always approved of my outfits whenever Gigi chooses something, but her hard gaze upon me appear oblivious to others and nobody says anything.

What does she want?

I glare back at her because I'm getting tired of her little games. I wish I just lived with Gigi.

Gigi is on my left, my mother is right in front of me, leaving Harvey in front of Gigi on our big table decorated with bucketloads of food that will simply have to be wasted after tonight. My mother doesn't believe in keeping rests in the fridges. She believes they lose their proteins and all that, which I honestly couldn't care less about.

I always felt bad because this food could be given to someone starving on the streets. So what I do is collect the food before my mother throws it away and give it away to a neighbor in the house across from ours who delivers it to the homeless shelter. Obviously she has no idea I'm doing this. She always believed the poor and unlucky should mend for themselves and it was their fault they got there in the first place. I already explained the situation to my neighbors and they agreed to help. As very religious Catholics, they felt they had to do the right thing.

I look across the dinner table to see my mother's eyes still glued on me.

Close, she mouths.

And I instantly shut my mouth. Must be a reflex.

---

Hey guys! This chapter is really short I know but I forgot what else I wanted to write so I'm stopping it here. 😊 Hopefully next chapter is slightly longer.