Chapter 54: Gigi

My eyes see everything in slow motion as she crosses the street, her eyes seemingly dead, the light in them extinct and I see as the car hauls itself towards her.

"MAYA!!!" I yell from the top of my lungs as I race towards her, too far to do anything but so close that I feel like I could've done something.

Even the crash appears right before my eyes; the way it pushes her and her body falls to the side, and then her body on the floor, blood pooling around her head and I leap to her side, gently putting her head in my lap, not caring that I'm wearing my new skirt, or that I was late for school.

No.

All I care about is Maya.

It was always Maya and now maybe she's dead and never knew how much I loved her.

"Maya! Maya!! Wake up!! Talk to me! Say something! Maya please!" I beg as my tears roll naturally down my face, my heart tugging in pain at the sight of my bestfriend dying.

I glare up at the people who hit her, now out of the car looking at her, frantic and shocked.

"Call an ambulance!" I scold them immediately.

What are they, stupid? Do they want her to die?

I hear in a matter of seconds the loud ringing of the ambulance but it feels as though it's too long judging by Maya's state.

She could be dead.

I rip open her shirt and my place my head over her heart to check for a beat, after constant denial I realize there is none.

No.

No, no, no.

This can't be happening!

No!

"Maya!" I yell at her lifeless body hoping something would come out of it.

Nothing.

"No!! Maya!! Reply to me! Answer me please, Maya tell me this is only a stupid joke." I whisper to her, laughing, desperately trying to believe it is and that she's just playing games.

"No May! Come on, wake up. Give me that beautiful smile of yours and show me your beautiful golden eyes."

No reply.

"Miss, I'm sorry we'll have to take her."

I step back and let them carry her into the ambulance and I follow her in, never letting her out of my sight. My thin blonde hair is soaked as much as the rest of my body and I feel a chill as the air conditioning of the car hits me. I look towards Maya who's shirt is well open with her bra sticking out and I instantly cover her up as a reflex and grab a blanket from the seat next to me to put over her.

"Is there nothing you can do?!" I demand, my hands shaking in disbelief and horror in my bloody lap.

"We need to wait and get her into surgery once we get permission."

"Permission?! Isn't her life more important than that?!"

"But she's minor, we can't simply..."

"Do it! Her mom is rich, she'll pay for it."

"But miss-"

"I said do it! It's her only chance right? Then do it! I don't care about permission. Her life comes first."

We get to the hospital to the emergency sector and I am no longer to go further in because "I'm not family". I'm the only family she's got left. Her mother doesn't count from what I know and I know Maya doesn't tell me everything but I know the one slapping her is her mom. Her cheeks always appear redder some days and although she won't admit it, I know it's her mom inflicting that pain onto her. She no longer classified as family the moment Maya's father died.

I hear the clicking of heels and turn around to see Mary, Maya's mother arrive at full speed, her worried face well rehearsed for sure.

"Where's Maya?"