Liebe -1

"Love is not love, which alters when it alliteration finds or bends with the remover to remove."
-William Shakespeare

I GREW UP WITH ALL THE LUXURIOUS things in the world but I still didn't know what made me truly happy, yes my father made me happy after all he was the only family... I had besides my two best friends and my nanny Sis Thembi. She was in her early Forties, she had been there through all my life and I couldn't imagine my life without her. My first Period I thought I was dying but she was was there to teach me all the things I needed to know the things my mother should have been doing. Even though the void was there deep withing me, my father made sure I got everything I wanted. I remember when I was six and I asked my father what was a mommy because everyone had one and why did I not have one; his eyes brimmed with watery substance and he knelt down and whispered "Why don't we get some ice cream and I will tell you all about it?" I nodded well because of my excitement for ice cream, I forget about all the questions I had.

I was quite the loner as a child, I hardly went out because all I wanted to do was watch television with Sis Thembi. As soon as I learnt how to write, I'd write my name on all the furniture, all the walls around the house you would think my father was furious but no he would simply smile and say great what about your last name then I would scribble my last name in a not so perfect hand writing.

My father was a well known lawyer in Johannesburg, he had his very own Multi-Million company Legal Urgency which had only the best lawyers, attorney and Prosecutors in the business. I loved to watch him work especially when he took me to one of his coart cases. Everyone knew that there would be no way in hell or heaven, he would lose a case; he was my hero and i'd say when grow up I wanna be just like my father. As I grew older than ten, I realised how my hair would get tangled like a beehive and it was always curly while my father's hair was just plain brunette and it made me wonder why was I so different so one day I asked Sis Thembi why my hair was different from my father and she said it's because my mother was black and my father was white meaning I was Coloured (like we say in South Africa) or rather mixed race, although I really wanted to ask where my mother was, I just decided to hold my peace because such questions made my father very tense and it would change his mood instantly.

When I was twelve years old, I realised that I was inlove with history even though many people would say it was such a bore, all I wanted to do was research and find out interesting facts I didn't know about other parts of the world. That's when I met my two best friends in seventh grade, Leanne and Amanda. We were in the same 7th grade class and from there we just became incredibly close, they came for sleepovers and we did all the girly things that every twelve year old girl found amusing and I remember how they would always tell me, how they wish they were me because of everything that revolved around my life. I lived in a suburban area in Johannesburg North called Sandton, our house was okay but people would exaggerate and say it was basically a mansion. Sandton was a quiet surbub and very much boring, the day I finally slept over at Amanda's house in Soweto (South side of Johannesburg) everything was different and I had never been to such a place before everyone was so care free and the streets were full, in Sandton the only time you ever saw someone was when they would come out to pick up their mail or driving out or walking their dog. There were a lot of black people in Soweto since I was so fascinated by history I knew it was because of apartheid, it was a time when South Africa was colonised by Dutch and British they moved all black people to downtown Johannesburg then only Whites lived in sandton. I felt bad but I wasn't white well I didn't know who I was, I had a lot of questions but no answers.

Amanda's family was so welcoming and sweet although they didn't have much and their house wasn't even close to being as big as mine, they had a beautiful family, one which I always wished for. Amanda spoke the language isizulu from the late Shaka Zulu, I was fascinated by languages in South Africa there were twelve languages but I could only speak two which was Afrikaans and English. The school we attended was very expensive only the extravagantly rich could attend it although Amanda's Parents didn't have much they worked really hard for her to attend a school of high class. Amanda was black but really beautiful, I envied her dark skin that didn't react when we stood in the sun for too long.